Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
patrick88888
Lurker
Liked: never

Licensing Question

Post by patrick88888 »

Hi all,

I have an Exsi host running 10 VMs but the requirement is to install Windows agent and back these VMs just like backup physical server (not through vcenter). So in short, we are not doing VMware level backup. May i check.. is the per socket licensing for the ESXi host good enough or it is totally a different type of licensing?

Thanks much!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Licensing Question

Post by Gostev »

Hello, currently to use agent-based backup you need Instance licensing. You can migrate from Sockets to Instances at the cost of your Sockets renewal though. Thanks!
jamcool
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jason Mount

Re: Licensing Question

Post by jamcool »

Here is a link that I found helpful in better understanding the instance licensing when I had to start buying Veeam Windows agent for physical servers.

I have both socket licenses for my ESXi hosts and Instance licenses for physical servers (you need instance license if running Windows agent locally if physical or virtual server). For Windows workstation OS it counts as 0.5 instance and for Windows server OS it counts as 1.5 instance. Since I have 20 Window server running the agent, I have 30 instance licenses assigned out (I own more than 30 instance licenses).

https://www.veeam.com/products-edition-comparison.html