Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pmoreira
Lurker
Liked: never

Questions Forward Incremental Backup

Post by pmoreira »

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to redo the backup jobs and policy of the company i'm working on. We have been using the Veeam Backup & Replication for over a year now, but now we have a restrict backup policy to follow.

While referring the https://www.veeam.com/kb1932 i founded myself a bit confused with the 'Forward Incremental Backup' and it's policy (please forgive me if the question is to dumb). So my question is:

[*] If i have a 'Forward Incremental Backup' with a 'Restore points to keep on disk' of 14 days and do a 'Create synthetic full backups periodically' every Saturday, does this means that every two weeks i will end-up only having 8 recovery points?

The reason of my question its because if a Full backup it's build, and the recovery points have reached it's maximum, the first full it will be deleted, along with their incrementals, meaning that we will only have a 8 days of recovery point, or i'm thinking wrongly?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Questions Forward Incremental Backup

Post by Gostev »

Hello,

No - that would be classified as a critical bug, if it was the case :D you will never have less than 14 restore points, since this is the number of restored points you require the job to keep.

In general, your thinking is definitely not wrong - however, you're also overthinking it a little bit, as Veeam obviously takes care of all such nuances for you.

Thanks!
pmoreira
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by pmoreira »

Thank you for the quick reply Gostev!

Maybe i'm indeed overthinking a bit...

So in conclusion, i will end-up having 21 restore points in my storage before Veeam be able to delete the first set of Full and incremental backups, leaving me again the 14 restore points, then again grow in size till the 21 and repeat endless. It will be this the expected behavior, right?

Sorry for insisting on the question and overthinking, but you know, limited storage ftw :D

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes. This is actually explained right in the UI, see INFO icon right next to the value of restore points to keep.