Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
postrander
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: paul ostrander

Licensing and backup issues

Post by postrander »

I'm running the community/free version of Veeam Backup (9.5.4.2753) with 10 instances. Currently running at all 10 instances used, with 1 VM and 3 server instances. Exchange is currently a physical server. File server (VM) is configured in Veeam as a 'server' instance. Our main DC is a physical server, as a 'server' instance.

Problem #1: I improperly setup my Veeam to backup one of my file server VM's as a server. It has 3 total drives, 1 OS, & 2 being file server data drives. I'd like to now configure Veeam correctly by backing it up as a VM. I have 2 backup jobs for the VM. One backup is for actively changing files, daily incremental, full every Sunday - on drive D:\. The other backup is one that runs every month on data that changes very rarely - on drive E:\. What is the best way to reconfigure this 'server' to be the VM it actually is for instances and free up the other 2 instances?

Problem #2: I am in the middle of promoting and demoting DC's in our windows domain. The new DC's are VM's, the existing one is a physical server. The physical server will be decommissioned and removed. Problem is that I've been running backups on this physical server, and it's taking 3 of my licenses, when I would rather the licenses be freed up for the VM's that are replacing the physical server. The phys. server doesn't show up in the managed servers, but does show up in the license report from Veeam and is taking 3 instances.

So these 2 servers are eating up 6 of my instances of the Veeam licensing. The server in problem #1 will remain, while the phys. server in problem #2 will be decommissioned.

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Licensing and backup issues

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

#1: Remove it from any agent-based backup jobs, delete all of its backups, and revoke a license in the License Information dialog.
#2: Delete all of its backups, and revoke a license in the License Information dialog.