Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mlavie
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Veeam Agent Firewall Rules Dissapearing

Post by mlavie »

Hi all,

My guess this is not a Veeam-specific issue, but I hope that others here have encountered the problem and have advice.

Ever since the laptops on my LAN had the latest Windows 10 Feature upgrade applied 10 days ago, my Veeam Windows Agent firewall rules keep on disappearing. I re-installed the Veeam Agents to create the rules again, but then after a few re-boots they disappeared again.

Is anyone else encountering this? What can I do?

TIA,
mlavie
mlavie
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Re: Veeam Agent Firewall Rules Dissapearing

Post by mlavie »

I think I have solved this myself - particularly after I noticed that certain other settings on my computer were disappearing after a reboot.

When I tried adding the rules which had been erased, I added them by specifying the program executable. I suddenly remembered that when I opened the Select File dialog to select the executable, I immediately got a warning popup stating that the folder "C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Desktop" was missing - although it did let me continue and choose the executables.

So I Googled that folder together with the keywords "Windows Upgrades". I found quite a number of references for various upgrades which erased the folder (although no mention was made of the firewall per se). One reference suggested copying "c:\users\default\Desktop" to "C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile". I did that, and it solved the problem. In addition, that stopped the other problems I was having between reboot to reboot.

I hope this will help others.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Agent Firewall Rules Dissapearing

Post by Dima P. »

Hello mlavie,

Thank you for sharing, I've asked RnD folks to check if Veeam Agent setup is capable of recreating firewall rules via setup repair functionality. Stay tuned.