Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ColtsFanMN
Influencer
Liked: never

Incremental Backups not working as expected

Post by ColtsFanMN »

I think I'm doing something wrong.. so need advice.

I've changed the way I'm doing backups and think that my setup is the problem.

I use direct attached storage (RDX removable drives) on my 'backup' server. This has worked well for many years now as I was always doing an Active Full backup. Because of environment changes, I want to change this to an incremental backup Monday thru Thursday, with an Active Full, using a larger RDX drive on Friday. The Full works fine as the size of the RDX cartridge in the drive that day is large enough to handle the whole, full backup (11 VMs). However, when Monday rolls around and there's a new RDX cartridge in the drive ( this one is smaller since it's just supposed to be incremental ) it looks like VEEAM is doing another Active Full and runs out of room after the 5th VM. I know that we can't have more than about 2% files changed over the weekend as we are a production environment and not open.

Does VEEAM have to see/read the last Active Full backup to do the Incremental? Is there anyone who can advise me on the best way to handle this?

I do not have another spot to keep the Active Full copy at present other than the removable RDX drive. However, if I can.. how would it know to read that file anyways?

Need some direction / ideas please.

Thanks, Colts
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Incremental Backups not working as expected

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
everything works as expected.
Does VEEAM have to see/read the last Active Full backup to do the Incremental?
yes. You need to have a full backup available to create an incremental backup.
Is there anyone who can advise me on the best way to handle this?
What about getting another large RDX drive? I would not care too much about backup. I would see it from a restore perspective... I would not want to deal with "creative workarounds" in an emergency situation.

Best regards,
Hannes