Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
davidkillingsworth
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times

Licensing cost for a single agent for Windows without a Veeam infrastructure

Post by davidkillingsworth » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

I am a long time Veeam user, but a question suddenly came up about licensing a stand alone Windows server in an SMB environment.

We are implement a new Windows server with SQL at an SMB customer site. Since there is no virtualization or Veeam infrastructure, we want to license a single Veeam agent for Windows license, and then perform the backups to an externally attached 4TB USB drive.

The reseller that we use, who is usually pretty switched on about technology, licensing, etc. has given us product number and price.

Veeam Backup Essentials Instances - Enterprise -1 Year Subscription, Upfront Billing & Production (24/7) Support, 5 Instance, New License, Subscription Upfront Billing, includes VM, Server or Workstation Agent
MPN: V-ESSENT-0I-SU1YP-00

2 x $395 USD

Note: We are in APAC if that matters.
Also, the server is: Dell PowerEdge T340 Tower Server, Xeon E-2124 3.3GHz 4C/4T

So it's going to cost us $700 USD to backup a single stand along windows server to an external USB drive.

1) Is what we are trying to do a supported methodology, specifically using Veeam without an Veeam infrastructure and repository.
2) Is the product number we are being quoted correct.
3) Is $700 USD really the entry point for using Veeam in an SMB environment?

If so, then Veeam is sort of missing the boat. We'll use CloudBerry Backup for half the price, or Acronis backup or something along those lines.

We love Veeam and would really much rather use Veeam though.

Please advise.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Licensing cost for a single agent for Windows without a Veeam infrastructure

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
please understand that the forum cannot advise on licensing. The partner or distributor is the way to go. There is a license calculator tool available https://www.veeam.com/pricing-instance-calculator

Single server licenses are not available anymore. There are always packages of instances. The most common way is to let a service provider manage small customers with the Veeam Availability Console. Via a service provider it is possible to license single server.

Best regards,
Hannes
davidkillingsworth
Enthusiast

Re: Licensing cost for a single agent for Windows without a Veeam infrastructure

Post by davidkillingsworth »

I have to say that's a terrible response and basically rules us out of ever using Veeam in an SMB environment where we don't already have a Veeam infrastructure/repository.

Even using the pricing calculator that you linked me to, the price is $630 USD. We love Veeam, but not that much for a single server in an SMB environment when there are other products for half that price that also include the ability to backup SQL server instances.
danswartz
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Dan Swartzendruber

Post by danswartz »

Maybe I am confused. You can't use the free VAW?
davidkillingsworth
Enthusiast

Post by davidkillingsworth »

@danswartz, this server is going to be Windows server 2019 with SQL Server Standard 2017, so we need application aware processing, which is not available in free.

It seems the free version also doesn't include Synethtic Full backups or Change Block Tracking (CBT) driver, which may not be super vital in this case, but would be nice. I would also like to be able to generate a support case with any issues.

I'm happy to pay for a license, but the price seems exorbitant for a single stand alone server in SMB environment when there are other options available.