Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
M4ximusX
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Problem restoring files from windows file server

Post by M4ximusX »

Thank you for your reply.

I solved the problem by copying the files from the mounted (didn't know that when I replied here yesterday) directory C:\VeeamFLR.

But I will install the update soon. Is it possible to update the installed version with the installer!?

Kind regards!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

This update is actually should be installed over the Veeam B&R installation.
M4ximusX
Novice

Post by M4ximusX »

Thanks alot.
It worked fine.

Kind regards!
awojtowicz
Influencer
Full Name: Andrew Wojtowicz

[MERGED] v6.5 260 characters

Post by awojtowicz »

i'm trying to do a restore and getting message about file name must be less than 260 characters. how do i restore files i need? i see there is a huge filename of a shortcut to a website. this is whats causing it but how can i restore?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Andrew, you could either use some of the hints provided in this thread above (for example, Instant Recovery) or upgrade to the latest version that does not have this limitation. Thanks.
awojtowicz
Influencer
Full Name: Andrew Wojtowicz

Post by awojtowicz »

i ran exlporer and deleted long file and was able to restore. thanks.
adamenko
Lurker
Full Name: Adamenko Delwinsay

Post by adamenko »

Long Path Tool is ideal for sorting out issues related to long path errors. I would highly recommend it to try it out.
aliceten
Novice
Full Name: Alex Pablet

Post by aliceten »

For such problems, Long Path Tool works!
andrewop
Lurker
Full Name: andrewop pit

Post by andrewop »

Hello
You can also use Long Path Tool to sort out this problem.

Full Name: liona jackson

Post by liona1982 »

I have recently used a program called Long Path Tool & i am so happy with the results that this particular program does. I have more than 50 GB of duplicate files in my computer and i was going crazy with the hard disk space that was being consumed and thanks to the "Long Path Tool" where i don't need to search each & every file to delete. Long Path Tool did the job for me within a very short period of time. So no need to google each problem to remove duplicate & unwanted files, just grab the program called Long Path Tool.
liona1982
Lurker
Full Name: liona jackson

Post by liona1982 »

In other words Long Path Tool is the best according to me because it is user friendly and you can do anything with it and I would definitely recommend it to you (5 out of 5 stars)
evilaedmin
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Eugene V

[MERGED] Windows MAX_PATH and removing limitation

Post by evilaedmin »

Hello,

I have users who (my term for it) abuse the MAX_PATH character limit of 260 by managing to map deeply nested folders as drives on both Mac clients and Windows clients. This gives us many headaches when our helpdesk must restore individual files/folders.

What is the behavior of Windows FLR and also of indexing when the file system (NTFS, originally formatted with 2008 R2, betweent 1-14 TB in size) has many many files which exceed 260 characters? Our servers are currently 2012 R2.
doktornotor
Enthusiast
Liked: 29 times

Re: Windows MAX_PATH and removing limitation

Post by doktornotor »

Check this thread: veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/files-excee ... 55314.html

The indexing definitely does not like this. This is MS stupidity in the first place, cannot image Veeam solving much here beyond the indexing noise.
foggy
Veeam Software

Re: Windows MAX_PATH and removing limitation

Post by foggy »

FLR itself shouldn't have file path length limitations anymore (except for some specific cases).
pawel
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by pawel »

Foggy, you said there is no file path length limitation on FLR. I'm on 9.5.0.1922 trying to restore deduplicated volumes. I'm getting the error that "source file name(s) are larger than is supported by the file system."

Can you clarify what specific cases you're talking about and how we can get around this in those cases?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello pawel,
I'm on 9.5.0.1922 trying to restore deduplicated volumes. I'm getting the error that "source file name(s) are larger than is supported by the file system."
Just to make sure we are on the same page, please elaborate if duplicated volumes are stored in the and you are trying to perform a file level restore of a file from such volume? Are you restoring such file to the original location or not? Thanks!
pawel
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by pawel »

I actually did some more testing today and found that a regular restore to original location works fine. Also, a restore using the "Copy to" function works fine. The error appears if you click explore to browse the backup with File Explorer and try to copy files from there. This gives you the "source file name(s) are larger than is supported by the file system." error.

So the copy to workaround works fine for me, but might be something you want to look into on the explore functionality.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Do you mean the "Open in Explorer" button on the toolbar? If yes, then the limitation is Windows Explorer-related, not Veeam B&R. Both Veeam B&R restore options work fine as you were able to confirm.
engedib
Influencer
Liked: 7 times

Post by engedib » 1 person likes this post

pawel wrote: Sep 24, 2019 9:47 pm Foggy, you said there is no file path length limitation on FLR. I'm on 9.5.0.1922 trying to restore deduplicated volumes. I'm getting the error that "source file name(s) are larger than is supported by the file system."

Can you clarify what specific cases you're talking about and how we can get around this in those cases?
The same thing happened with me when the backup server has an older version of Windows server compared where your deduplicated volume is, that case you can't do a file level restore.
Eg. Veeam server is on 2012 R2, file server with deduplicated volume is on 2016, Veeam is on 2016, file server is 2019, etc.
DatatoSecure
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: François Picard

Post by DatatoSecure »

Good day,

I know this post is somewhat old, but after doing a bit of reading it seems one has to enable the LongPathsEnabled setting in the registry first.

The Windows Long Path setting became available with Windows 10 (1607 build) therefore available to Windows Server 2016; 2019; 2022; and Windows 11.
Reference: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... s=registry

Therefore it seems, to be confirmed, current Veeam software supports the Windows Long Path setting since this is determined by the O/S.

To Veeam: perhaps a KB article on this would be good.

Regards
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Francois,

Many thanks for sharing this idea with us, we'll check this scenario internally and publish the KB if it's still actual.

Thanks!