Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
horhota
Influencer
Liked: never

Using Veam B&R on regular Windows Server

Post by horhota »

Recently I downloaded the Veeam Backup and Replication software. I planned to use it as a replacement for an old Symantec product, BackupExec. I have one server, running WindowsServer2016, which I backup on a daily basis to rotating external hard drives. I have no virtual machines. When I tried to install Backup and Replication, it was very confusing and complicated, and I was never able to set up any jobs. During the installation I also couldn't find any mention of restoring files. Is this software not suitable for a simple server(no VMs) backup? If it will work as I expect, is there a easy to follow tutorial or set of instructions showing how you can set up and perform simple server backups and file restores using the software. Everything I've found seems to be oriented to virtual machines.
Thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Using Veam B&R on regular Windows Server

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
if you only have one server and no virtual machines, then "Backup and Replication" is not the way to go...

You are looking for the Veeam Agent for Windows :-)

User guide: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=30

Best regards,
Hannes
horhota
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by horhota »

Thanks, I already have Veeam Agent for Windows. I was looking for something with more features and thought that B&R might work better.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

which feature are you missing?
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Tim Thomas

Post by tthomas1@ebsco.com »

I use Veeam B&R with physical servers. The key is to enter the Veeam Agent for Windows license in Veeam B&R, and that unlocks several features. I agree that B&R contains some great features not in the standard Agent.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thank you for the clarification. You can use Veeam B&R to protect only physical server, here is a detailed Help Center which has all the available functionality explained -Veeam Agent Management Guide. Please let us know if you need any further assistance. Cheers!