Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
karlochacon
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Carlos Chacon

03773945 - Restore SQL for Veeam Provider

Post by karlochacon »

hi guys

we provide backups services for multiple customer so we have Veeam backup server and a proxy server for each customer to leverage SQL backps, you know SQL backpus need the proxy to have access to customer network....

we have this scenario
Veeam BK Server - NIC in Admin Network
Proxy Server Customer 1 - NIC 1 in Admin Network, NIC 2 in customer Network in order to contact the SQL servers

Yesterday I had an error when trying to run the SQL Explorer from Veeam Backup Server so Agent support guy told me to install the Veeam Console in the Proxy Server and I wanted to ask what that really necessary?
in the rush you just don't think about and we installed it but I think I just can open the Veeam console and insert the IP and user/password for the proxy server was enough yesterday instead of installing the whole thing in the proxy server

thanks
powersjo
Influencer
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Jonathan Powers

Re: 03773945 - Restore SQL for Veeam Provider

Post by powersjo » 1 person likes this post

I don't think its really an option to insert the IP into the SQL explorer. Even if it was you were on a different network than where you were restoring to. So the routes would have to be mapped between networks / subnets for it to connect and restore. Not to mention if anything was on this customer network like a firewall blocking ports from outside networks.
Thank you,
- Powersjo :mrgreen:

https://powersjo.com/veeam
karlochacon
Enthusiast

Post by karlochacon »

no there was nothing at the customer site simply from Veeam BK won't work and from Proxy installing remote console worked.... well not really a good option now I have to install like 40 Remore console in like 40 proxy servers we have and the nice thing documentation does not mention a thing about this when restore SQL databases... that's is too bad

even support did not know and it took some time for them and after some time they told hey you need to install veeam remote console in the proxy server....
karlochacon
Enthusiast

Post by karlochacon »

powersjo wrote: Sep 21, 2019 2:31 am I don't think its really an option to insert the IP into the SQL explorer. Even if it was you were on a different network than where you were restoring to. So the routes would have to be mapped between networks / subnets for it to connect and restore. Not to mention if anything was on this customer network like a firewall blocking ports from outside networks.
BT W I did not mean the SQL Browser server I meant the Veeam Console

BTW I got this answer from support so the Veeam Console can connect and interact with all proxy server no need to install Veeam console in all my Proxy Veeam Servers

Veeam has two separate components: the console (can be installed on multiple machines) and the server itself. You can connect to the server from any client machines with the console installed using the IP or DNS name of the server to connect

Please don't hesitate to get back to us, should you have any questions or concerns.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, it was not required to install the console on the proxy specifically to connect to it, but just to install another instance of the console somewhere, since the original one didn't work. And the proxy server was selected as an acceptable option.