Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
mboimoil@midrange.ca
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Boimoil

Case:03783168 Migrated Sharepoint sites to O365 can't be restored by VO365 when deleted

Post by mboimoil@midrange.ca »

We are a CSP and doing O365 Backups for our customers. We have one customer who is having a Sharepoint restore issue.

If a Site is created in SharePoint online, it can be restored if it’s deleted. So, the customer will create the site, Veeam will back it up, then the customer deletes the site. They will also delete the site from the recycle bin. I run the Veeam Sharepoint explorer from the last backup, locate the site and restore it successfully.

Problem
If the Sharepoint site exists on customers on premises Sharepoint server and migrated to Sharepoint online, the restore fails.
• Customer migrates Site and preserves permissions and it’s successful
• Veeam will back it up successfully
• Customer will permanently delete the site
• Veeam Sharepoint explorer will list site that was deleted
• I click restore, enter credentials (username and app password)
• I then get an error, CANNOT CONNECT TO OFFICE 365. See logs for details
The veeam service account has Site owner roll and Sharepoint admin role. I’m not sure what’s going on

HOWEVER

If customer creates an empty Sharepoint site of the one that was deleted, the restore works

So..

Customer migrates Site and preserves permissions and it’s successful
• Veeam will back it up successfully
• Customer will permanently delete the site
• Veeam Sharepoint explorer will list site that was deleted
• Customer creates the deleted sharepoint site in O365
I click restore, enter credentials (username and app password)
• Restore is successful
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Case:03783168 Migrated Sharepoint sites to O365 can't be restored by VO365 when deleted

Post by Polina » 1 person likes this post

Hi Michael and welcome to the Community!

It shouldn't matter if a site is created in online or migrated there. In both cases, you're backing up a SharePoint Online site and restoring it back to O365. Though, if you have a backup of an on-prem site and trying to restore it to O365, it won't work as this scenario is not supported.

Did you get the error when entering your credentials (on the credentials validation step), or it was received as a result of the restore session?
mboimoil@midrange.ca
Novice

Re: Case:03783168 Migrated Sharepoint sites to O365 can't be restored by VO365 when deleted

I get it when I enter the credentials. So, I click restore, then then enter username (service account created in Azure AD with all the roles necessary for MFA (using your guide :). Then I enter the App password. i then get the error. I wish there was a way to show you the error. I have the screen shot. I can probably email it to you. But like i said above, if the customer creates the Site again in SharePoint online, then the restore works. Very strange

Thank you
Michael
mboimoil@midrange.ca
Novice

Support informed me that this is normal behavior. If a Site is deleted no matter if it was created in SOL or Migrated, you need to create an empty Site of the same name. Then the restore will work. I have tested this to be true