Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Frosty
Expert
Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Stephen Frost

Configure new alarm for snapshot revert in VCSA 6.7

Post by Frosty »

This came up in the thread about CBT and Snapshot Revert issues.

Regarding adding a new Alarm definition, in vCenter v6.7 (VCSA appliance), in the usual /ui web interface there is no option to target a Specific Event; you can only select from the pre-defined set of alarm definitions.

You have to run the "old" vSphere Client interface with /vsphere-client on the URL instead of /ui ... and this allows the option to add the com.vmware.vc.vm.VmStateRevertedToSnapshot event as a new alarm definition.

Once this has been created, the new alarm definition will show up in the /ui interface and can be selected from the list. However it looks like it can't be edited from there, so you'd have to go back to /vsphere-client if you ever want to edit it.

I did a test and reverted a VM to snaphot. The Alarm was triggered. It can be Reset back to Green in the /ui interface. However no email was sent.

That led me on another quest and I found the resolution described here:
https://communities.vmware.com/thread/583575

In short, you need to enable SSH access to the vCenter appliance (via the port 5480 management interface), then login and navigate to /etc/mail, copy the sendmail.cf file just in case (e.g. cp submit.cf submit.cf.COPY), then use "vi" to add an email "smart host" to the sendmail configuration. As soon as I did this, the emails were being correctly generated out of vCenter.

Works great actually, very happy with the outcome. Thanks to those here and elsewhere who provided the information on how to achieve this!
Frosty
Expert
Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Stephen Frost

Re: Configure new alarm for snapshot revert in VCSA 6.7

Post by Frosty »

Ohhhh ... further testing ... it seems that maybe it is possible, with a bit of effort, via the /ui interface as well.
Hard to tell, as I don't know whether it is accepting com.vmware.vc.vm.VmStateRevertedToSnapshot as a value now because I already created the definition via the /vsphere-client interface.