Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
timmy.olsson@nibe.se
Novice
Liked: never

Corrupt backupjob when running out of storage

Post by timmy.olsson@nibe.se »

Hello

I've noticed that if you run out of storage your current backupjob will be corrupt and the backupjob fails with:

Rolling back changes made by incomplete job run
Error: Root element is missing.

This has happened to me twice since upgrading to 9.5 and the same error both times. Before upgrading this wasn't a problem, if you run out of space of course the job will fail but run the next time if there where space available.

I've opened a case with the support. Got the expected answer - Create a new backup set.
I tried to explain that I see this as bug introduced in 9.5, but got no understanding in return.
Is this know? Will it be fixed or this is how it will work now?

The strangest in this story is when I today was going to copy the current backupfiles to an other storage and create a new backup set. Now I notice that the job has run during the night, and all old backup files are completely gone?! Only one full backup file left in the folder!

This last thing I haven't been able to recreate.

//Timmy
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Corrupt backupjob when running out of storage

Post by Gostev »

Hello! Please remember to include support case ID, as requested when you click New Topic. Thanks!
timmy.olsson@nibe.se
Novice

Post by timmy.olsson@nibe.se »

Sorry, 01985106

//Timmy
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Timmy, I recommend you escalating the case, since the behavior doesn't look expected, indeed.
Sujith Kumar
Lurker
Full Name: Sujith Kumar

Post by Sujith Kumar »

Anyone got any resolution to this.. i have the same problem..
Dont have space to create another full backup, or create a new backup job. Tried the below but did not work out.

The second option is more involved, has some caveats, and is not guaranteed to work but may save some time.
Verify the job itself is not currently running.
Once verified go into the backup repository and locate the backup files for the job having the issue.
Move the VBM file to another location without deleting it.
After the VBM file has been moved, return to Veeam B&R and run a normal backup operation.

Note: This also works for PerVM and SOBR based backups.

Note 2: When moving the VBM, do so to a path outside the backup repository path. For instance, if the repository path is C:\Backups, move the VBM to either the root of the drive or another path from the drive. If it is placed in another subfolder of C:\Backups, and the repository is re-scanned, Veeam will attempt to import the VBM as a backup.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Not sure how moving metadata file can fix corrupted backup chain or backup storage lacking free space. So, for anyone affected by the similar problem it's recommended to reach our support team. Thanks!
ideapc.it
Lurker
Full Name: Nicola - IdeaPC.it

Post by ideapc.it »

It work's for me, too, for the same problem: backup corrupted for end of avaiable space on storage
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Likely what happens is the following. If a chain is corrupt or somehow marked as broken no additional backup run is allowed.
Maybe by moving the metadata file, our job at backup can not see the existing backup files anymore and performs and active full.
Likely the same can be achieved by performing an active full manually.

As Vladimir said, I would not perform these kind of unsupported operations and coordinate actions with support to ensure that you do not run into issues later.