Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jamesharper-bsol
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: James Harper

Multiple SOBR with multiple B&R

Post by jamesharper-bsol »

Hi Chaps,

I'm wondering if a single data mover can work with multiple SOBR's from multiple B&R installs?

We're currently running multiple repos on 2 sites (2 DCs, different customers in each DC), each site has a B&R install with 4 storage servers (~200 TB each).

Each B&R install has all the storage servers added as a proxy and has a repo on each (giving 16 in total, 4 local, 4 remote per B&R install) so that backup copy jobs can store on the remote site's storage servers used by it's local B&R install.

Each repo points to a different folder on the storage server, so to be clear this isn't multiple instances sharing a repo, just sharing the underlying space (and the data mover service).

This currently works fine with normal repos but we're looking to migrate to SOBR (1 per site, so each storage server would have 2 SOBRs - each from different B&R installs) and I'm simply wondering if this adds any potential issues to the mix? Given SOBR extents are normal repos under the hood I don't expect any issues but just wanted to check with the wider community.

Cheers,
James
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Multiple SOBR with multiple B&R

Post by foggy »

Hi James, actually Veeam B&R servers do not share data movers, each one runs its own instance on each server and they are not aware of each other's tasks, so please keep combined CPU/RAM requirements in mind when configuring the max number of concurrent tasks for the shared servers. For SOBR, there's also space estimation that doesn't take backup workloads of another Veeam B&R instance into account, so also be careful in terms of space here. Also, make sure both Veeam B&R servers operate at the same patch level. Other than that it should work fine.
jamesharper-bsol
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: James Harper

Post by jamesharper-bsol »

Thanks foggy,

Yes I'm planning to set the registry key in KB2282 to ensure free space is updated frequently.

In regards to running their own instances, can you please elaborate a bit on how this works as I only have one transport service (and one process running) even though it's added as a repo on multiple B&R servers.

Cheers,
James
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You're right, there is a single transport service (Data Mover Service), what I meant was that each Veeam B&R instance starts its own processing agents via this service.