Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
BuffaloBucks
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Al

Direct SAN Access

Post by BuffaloBucks »

I am just getting started using Veeam for the first time and just starting to setup the server and infrastructure.

We have an HPE Apollo server with 57TB of local storage for Backups and will be doing a Simple Deployment with all roles on this server.

The majority of the backups will be VMs from our 2016, 4 node Hyper-V Cluster that is using CSVs stored on a Tegile FC SAN.
I am connecting the Apollo server via FC to the same FC fabric that the Tegile SAN is on so that all backup traffic will go across the Fibre Channel fabric using Direct SAN Access.

How do I configure this setup to ensure that backups occur over the FC network and NOT over Ethernet?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Direct SAN Access

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

"Direct SAN Access" if VMware transport mode, it does not apply to Hyper-V.

To achieve LAN-free backups with Hyper-V, you should use "off-host proxy".
User Guide for Hyper-V covers this in great details, please review it.
BuffaloBucks
Enthusiast

Post by BuffaloBucks »

Thanks for the information. I'll be putting the off-host proxy role on the main server as well and zone the FC to be able to see the LUNs that the Hyper-V Cluster uses for storing the VMs.

In addition it was recommended to me to install the Veeam Management Console on a separate VM and that VM could be on the Hyper-V Cluster that I am backing up. I am assuming that I can install the Management Console on the main Veeam server with all the data and such as well in case the Hyper-V Cluster was unavailable and that VM was not usable. Correct?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Veeam B&R console is installed as a part of the Veeam B&R installation, so you will already have it on the main server. In addition to that, you can install it anywhere else if needed.
BuffaloBucks
Enthusiast

Post by BuffaloBucks »

Got it. Thanks!