Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
mrmarkmitch
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark W.

Beginning Monitor Questions

Post by mrmarkmitch »

-I have the monitor installed and latched onto VC, is the data collected only go back as far as when I first installed Veeam?

-Have any ideas/suggestions of what you guys look for from a host and cluster level view with regards to memory utilization? Is CPU worth monitoring at all since it's so low & what NT wise is most worth tracking?

Thanks guys!
PS:
*I certainly like the graphs on Veeam better than VC and I like how I can see more on a graph at a time and the reports look much better organized!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Beginning Monitor Questions

Post by Gostev »

Hello!

I don't understand your first question on the data going back to VC - could you please elaborate?

As for your second question, you want to monitor swap usage since too much swapping degrades VM performance. For CPU counters, most important is CPU ready - however you said your ESXi servers are not loaded so this is not a concern. I think it would be great if other people can share on this thread what are they monitoring primarily and why.

Thanks!
mrmarkmitch
Novice

Post by mrmarkmitch »

First question elaborated: I have Veeam data from our Virtual Center setup. Why can I not go back and see performance data from a given time before I installed Veeam, is this normal?
Also, if I install Veeam monitor from the ESX added mode would that be better or more beneficial?

Yes, I would love to get a general consensus on what people watch most or if they have any other pointers for monitoring purposes. I know all threshold are going to be different but I am still interested as to what people find as the best indicators for their ESX cluster/host's health.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Are you using free version? And what do you mean by "ESX added mode"?
mrmarkmitch
Novice

Post by mrmarkmitch »

Yeah, free version.. Is there a lot of limitations with this version?

I see Add VC and AddESX, in which I added VC. Adding VC should be sufficient or would be adding the ESX (not ESXi) server as well be better in some way? (I know that i'd be collecting data for the same hosts either way)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Free version of our Monitor is a real-time performance monitoring tool, so it is limited to 24 hours of performance history. Other than that there are not too many limitations. We are not even limiting it by the number of hosts and VMs that you can monitor. All limitations are fully documented in the Release Notes.

Adding VC is definitely better performance-wise comparing to adding individual hosts.
mrmarkmitch
Novice

Post by mrmarkmitch »

Thanks, good info.