Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rmiller
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ryan Miller

Migrating Veeam B&R to a new machine, but trying to keep original [external] database

Post by rmiller »

Hi -

A customer of ours is upgrading their virtual environment, and part of this involves moving the Veeam B&R VM to the new environment as well. The customer would like to take advantage of this opportunity to upgrade the OS from Windows 2008 R2 to Windows 2016. Veeam B&R is running 9.5U4a.

Normally, I'd say to install Veeam on the new server, perform a config backup, copy the config backup to the new server, and restore the config. However, the customer is using an external SQL server, as opposed to the built-in SQLExpress. As such, I'd like to simply use the same database that is already in place.

If I install Veeam on the new server, and I point it to the existing DB during the install, at best it'd stomp over the DB with a fresh DB and wipe out the configuration. However, more than likely, I'd end up with the installation saying the DB already exists, pick a new one, etc.

When I try (in a lab simulated situation) installing on the new server, letting it use a local DB, and then using the Configuration Database Connection Settings utility to repoint to the existing database, it correctly identifies that the database is in use by another backup server, and gives me the option to attach to it (albeit having to re-enter all saved pw's). However, when I try that, I get a quick error simply saying that the database is in use by the backup server installed on {other machine}. I've tried cycling the DB online and offline, and cycling the SQL services - thinking maybe a stale connection to the DB was still alive and that was causing the error, but that did not help.

Are there any other ways to install Veeam on a new server, and point it to use an existing database? Or is the only option really to have the new installation use a new blank DB, and then perform the configuration restore?

Thanks
driley
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dennis Riley

Re: Migrating Veeam B&R to a new machine, but trying to keep original [external] database

Post by driley »

I wonder what would happen if you changed the name of the new machine to match that of the old machine?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Migrating Veeam B&R to a new machine, but trying to keep original [external] database

Post by foggy »

Hi Ryan, the U4a ISO installs U4 GA and then automatically upgrades it to U4a. Since the database version on your existing installation has a newer version (U4a vs. U4 GA), it cannot be picked up right away. You need to install with a new fresh DB and then switch to the existing one with the help of DB config utility.
rmiller
Influencer

Post by rmiller »

driley wrote: Jun 06, 2019 7:50 pm I wonder what would happen if you changed the name of the new machine to match that of the old machine?
My guess is that it wouldn't work - that Veeam uses another sort of identified besides simply the host name to know which B&R server is currently 'attached' to the database. It's an interesting idea, though - I'll try it out, as in this customer scenario, we are keeping the hostname of the B&R server the same, so it's definitely worth seeing how it behaves.

Thanks!
rmiller
Influencer

Post by rmiller »

foggy wrote: Jun 07, 2019 1:46 pm Hi Ryan, the U4a ISO installs U4 GA and then automatically upgrades it to U4a. Since the database version on your existing installation has a newer version (U4a vs. U4 GA), it cannot be picked up right away. You need to install with a new fresh DB and then switch to the existing one with the help of DB config utility.
For clarity, here is the process I followed (as I think I came across the newer version speed bump during my setup of the simulation):
1) Install B&R on Server1 using U4 GA ISO, using local SQL instance, DB name VeeamBackup.
2) Upgrade components (NFS mount, one other one that I don't recall - maybe vPower?) to what I'm thinking is U4a
3) Configure some stuff, back up some stuff, etc.
4) Perform configuration backup.
5) Shut off Veeam services on Server1. Offline/Online Server1\VeeamBackup database. Cycle SQL services (all in an attempt to release any connection to the DB)
5) Install B&R on Server2 using U4 GA ISO. Select to use SQL server on Server1, DB name VeeamBackup2. Fresh new installation looks good.
6) Upgrade components (same ones as step 2 above) to what I'm thinking is U4a
7) Run DB Connection utility on Server2, point to Server1\VeeamBackup. See prompt telling me that if I want to attach to the DB, I will have to re-enter credentials, and to click OK to continue.
8 ) Click OK to continue - immediately see error telling me that DB is in use by Server1.

At one point during the process of setting this up, I did see a message indicating that the database I was trying to attach to was a newer version - but that went away once I ran step 6 - upgrading a couple components on the new server installation. I assume that is what you are referring to when you reference U4 GA and U4a? If so, both installations are at the same version (at least, any version incompatibility message I was receiving has gone away).
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Ok, thanks for the step-by-step outline. Then I suggest asking support to review your setup closer, this doesn't look expected.
rmiller
Influencer

Post by rmiller »

Just having confirmation that the process should work is valuable - so thank you!
Wad4iPod
Enthusiast
Liked: never

[MERGED] Error - Reinstalling Veeam 9.5u4b - SQL Database has a newer version?

Post by Wad4iPod »

Greetings,
I removed Veeam 9.5u4b. When I attempt to reinstall the same product version it fails at the VeeamBackup SQL part.
I am reinstalling the same version. What could I be missing?
Is the a query that will return the VeeamBackup DB/Product version?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2887 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Error - Reinstalling Veeam 9.5u4b - SQL Database has a newer version?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
in general, that's something to talk with support about. Please post the case number here for reference. Uninstall / install the same version is something that must work.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4 - the dbconfig utility might help

Best regards,
Hannes
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You need to install with the fresh DB first and then switch back to the existing one - see above. The reason is that the database was upgraded during installation of the newer Veeam B&R update while you're most likely installing the base release version.