Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
ScottL
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Scott L

What is proper way to restore MS Team?

Post by ScottL »

Hello All,

So I am trying to figure out how one could restore a MS Teams "Team". So after going over the the 30 day mark when the soft delete expires on the O365 side, if I need to restore a Team what do I need to do both in Veeam and in the O365 side to restore that?

I was under assumption it would be 1.) restore the O365 group from veeam and 2.) restore the SharePoint site from Veeam and then buda bing buda boom, but I don't see the Team show up in the O365 Teams Administrative console. I see the O365 group and SharePoint site get created in O365 after restore, but the Team did not even show up in the Teams console. I guess I was assuming it should show up just like a Team that's been recovered within 30 days. I assumed I would see the Team in a not-ready state until the backend O365 stuff syncs, but Im not seeing any team show up yet.

Perhaps I'm just impatient, I do realize that MS says it could take 24 hours for things to restore(at least with the soft-deleted recovery ).

I did try creating/linking a MS Team from the restored O365 group, but it created a second Team with the same name, but ending in 2 ("TestTeam2").

So I'm a bit lost as to what to do now(other than wait the full 24 hour period to see if any magic happens).

Thanks,
-Scott
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: What is proper way to restore MS Team?

Post by Polina »

Hi Scott and welcome to the community!

I'm afraid that due to the lack of certain MS Teams API available it's currently not possible to perform the entire MS Teams restore the way you want it. VBO can recover Teams data on a group mailbox and site level, which is what you see in your environment.
ScottL
Lurker
Full Name: Scott L

Post by ScottL »

Ok, thanks for the info Polina. I appreciate it.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Scott,

In the case you are describing, what you still can do is restore the data to that new team (or group) and then restore the "chats" (which are Outlook messages in the previous O365 group mailbox) to the new group. But you will need to recreate any channels and/ or tabs and reattach the restored data to it. Just as you, I hope that MSFT will release more API's for Teams so we can protect the metadata also, and make it possible to restore that
kendal.friesen
Lurker
Full Name: Kendal Friesen

Post by kendal.friesen »

Hi,
Is this current considering the release of v3?
Kendal
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Hi Kendal and welcome to the Community!

Yes, that's still current even for v3.
kendal.friesen
Lurker
Full Name: Kendal Friesen

Post by kendal.friesen »

Mike Resseler wrote: Jan 02, 2019 7:17 am Scott,

In the case you are describing, what you still can do is restore the data to that new team (or group) and then restore the "chats" (which are Outlook messages in the previous O365 group mailbox) to the new group. But you will need to recreate any channels and/ or tabs and reattach the restored data to it. Just as you, I hope that MSFT will release more API's for Teams so we can protect the metadata also, and make it possible to restore that
Can you point me to documentation regarding a procedure to restore chat messages into another Team using the Exchange Online data? My understanding the Exchange data is only for ediscovery/compliance purposes and it can't be used to restore conversations into a team. I am curious to know what is possible.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Hey Kendal,

I reread my message (from some time ago) and it is written rather confusing. My apologies for this. You are right that when you restore the message, you can't see it in Teams again. The "shown" data in Teams is stored somewhere hidden and the one in the Exchange mailbox is indeed just a copy of it. So restoring the message gives it again for discovery and so on, but it is not seen in teams. The rest of the message is still correct. MSFT has to release the API's for us to connect, and some (but not all) of those are in beta API phase today. Waiting eagerly to see more of them and to see them in production
juerg.schneebeli
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jürg Schneebeli, Veeam, Switzerland

Post by juerg.schneebeli »

Hi, does anybody have a step by step recovery guide for Microsoft teams until we get the next version of VBO with team’s support? Customers wants to get a procedure how to do? We have some procedures but not really something for customers.
bdaeumling
Veeam Software
Liked: 28 times

Post by bdaeumling » 4 people like this post

Hi Team, i created some slides covering this topic. Where should i share them?

Cheers bene
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

I would be interested in those slides, so please post an update if they're available for public.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

I'm also interested. Would be nice to have those slides as a guide.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK » 3 people like this post

Hi,
there is a blog post on that topic that shows it step by step: https://www.virtualhome.blog/2019/02/12 ... ffice-365/

Best regards,
Hannes
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina » 5 people like this post

And here's the new and fresh How-To blog post by courtesy of @Igor Arkhangelskiy: https://www.veeam.com/blog/restore-ms-t ... items.html