Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
twistabledeer
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Veeam guest file restore not working

Post by twistabledeer » 1 person likes this post

Hello!

I had a user accidentally delete a file so I am trying to use Veeam to restore just that specific file. I go to Restore > Guest Files > Windows > select the restore point and file > click restore to guest and provide admin credentials and the process bar appears but it just gets stuck at Estimating and 0 kbps transfer speed. The file is very small so it should take a few seconds but after about five minutes, nothing happens.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Many thanks
twistabledeer
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Re: Veeam guest file restore not working

Post by twistabledeer »

It appeared to be permission errors. What I had to do is right-click on the file or folder I wanted to restore > click Properties and add yourself to the security tab. Once I did that, I was able to do the restore.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam guest file restore not working

Post by Gostev »

Strange. This should not be needed, as we automatically grant the account used to perform restore SeBackupPrivilege, which lets it bypass NTFS permissions completely. So, your particular case would be interesting for us to research closer. The only idea I have is that you're using some antivirus with real-time protection which prevents our logic from working as designed.