Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
c0mical
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mr Gary Dufley

manually running a backup on an agent that is managed by VBR

Post by c0mical »

VBR 9.5u4

Hi

I've added some machines to a protection group and created a policy for them

due to the nature of the machines purpose, it is not possible to have them backed up on the weekly schedule

I would like to run a 'backup on demand'

If I try to run "Veeam.Endpoint.Backup /backup" on one of the machines, I get the "cannot as managed by administrator"

Is there any way to get around that?

Thanks
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: manually running a backup on an agent that is managed by VBR

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Gary!

- make sure you have selected "Managed by Agent" on the first page of your assigned policy in VBR. Agent will be still managed by VBR(in terms of updates, for example), but backup job itself will be triggered by the agent on a machine no matter of VBR connection status. That option will instruct the agent on who is going to trigger the backup and will allow to perform ad-hoc backup from the agent itself - by CMD or from an agent UI on a machine.
Agent management types

- also, since your laptops are roaming and you cannot predict when they show up in the office, check out other "workstation-related" scheduling modes we have, like "Run backup when Backup Target becomes available" - so as soon as laptop joins corporate network, it might start a backup no matter of time of a day!
Scheduling options for Workstation agent

Hope that helps!
c0mical
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mr Gary Dufley

Re: manually running a backup on an agent that is managed by VBR

Post by c0mical »

Hi Egor

Thanks for the reply

I did originally select the 'managed by agent' within the policy, but I am still unable to run a backup from the agent machine itself

What you have said makes sense to me but doesnt seem to be running correctly in my environment

I'll raise a ticket for support to look into it

Thanks