Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

VUL unweighted licenses

Post by Mgamerz »

Edit: Derp this is meant for the VAW forum, not VAL...

I am kind of confused on the VUL licensing email that just went out to digest subscribes.

VUL is the new licensing system, replacing the (fairly new) instance licensing, which weighted each workload type against a multiplier of the edition of Veeam. The new system won't have either of those, as stated in the document (https://www.veeam.com/blog/introducing- ... cense.html)

In Gostev's email it states:
• No more instance weighting table! With VUL, every workload consumes 1 license, allowing for ultimate license portability and simplicity.

If this is true, wouldn't that imply a workstation workload is the same as a server workload? I just moved to Veeam to cover my endpoint systems with VAW (hoping it gets some polish in v10 as it's pretty rough right now). On our license (Enterprise, Essentials, Public Sector) of VBR each workstation is .5 instances. Now it seems it is 1... uh.. VUL? According to the MSRP price calculator, 1 server license is $720 (bundle of 10). This seems to be 1:1 as I can put in up to 10 and it is still $720. Not a bad price.

I put in 60 workstations and it says I need 20 licenses - if every workload is one license, how does that make sense? Assuming this is correct - I hope it is (just kind of confusing since it does still seem to be weighted), it would save us a lot of $$ for our workstation licensing. I don't see anywhere where it talks about the weighting for workstations, which doesn't seem like it should cost the same as a server workload. Maybe I am misreading it? Maybe the tiers are gone so its not weighted that way but the workload themselves are weighted differently to consume a VUL?

If this is not correct, and it is still 1:1, that would be a huge price increase for VAW, which would definitely make me find a different endpoint backup solution.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: VUL unweighted licenses

Post by wishr »

Hi Mgamerz,

In the case with the new subscription offer, a single VUL license covers three workstations (1 workload = 3 PCs pack) or a single server. While in cases with a merged license (Perpetual + Subscription) or legacy licenses it still depends on the product edition.

Please check here (note the tables) - the licensing policy has been updated to reflect all the latest licensing changes, and let us know if you require additional clarifications.

Thanks
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Post by Mgamerz »

Alright, neat. That cuts our price by about 33% as its now 3:1 instead of 2:1.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

That's correct.

It was written by Gostev A. in the weekly digest: "Depending on the package, the price of VUL is reduced up to 33% comparing to the price of VIL Enterprise Plus". So, agent pricing benefited accordingly.

Thanks!