Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
kapple
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ken Applebaum

Feature Request: Veeam Agent for Windows restore job “remembering” backup destination path

Post by kapple »

We are evaluating various options for end user workstation backups. One of those is the free Veeam Agent for Windows.

I have personally used the Veeam Agent at home, and on my work laptop for a couple of years. It is rock solid, but you do need a certain degree of knowledge to backup & restore to either a Veeam repository, or SMB target.

One thing we noticed is that when you do a restore, the shared folder UNC path, and the Veeam repository location if used, needs to be manually entered since the GUI does not “remember” the path that is configured in the backup job.

Clicking the “Browse” button provides an error that the network location cannot be reached, even after entering the user credentials.

These two issues would make it tough to have end users initiate their own restore jobs if needed.

IMO, having the Veeam Agent software “remember” the path to the backup files would be a useful feature.

Thanks,

Veeam 9.5 Update 4
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request: Veeam Agent for Windows restore job “remembering” backup destination path

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Ken,

Thank you for your feedback! Mind me asking: have you tried to start the recovery by clicking the item on the bar chart in Veeam Agent for Windows control panel? It should automatically start the recovery from the selected restore point without asking the backup location or credentials. Cheers!
kapple
Enthusiast

Re: Feature Request: Veeam Agent for Windows restore job “remembering” backup destination path

Post by kapple »

Dmitry,

Well, no I have not, until I read your reply. I must be hard-coded to go about doing things the "hard way".

Thank you so much. This definitely makes restoring much more user friendly for a self-service restore.
kapple
Enthusiast

Post by kapple »

Dmitry,

OK, I think I ran into an issue.
My workstation is backed up to a shared folder on an SMB target. I went to my client control panel, double clicked one of the restore points, and had the option to restore volumes or files.
I just checked one of my colleague's client, which is backing up to a Veeam repository, and the options to restore files and volumes was grayed out.

Should there be a difference in functionality for restoring in this fashion, depending whether I am backing up to a Veeam repository, or SMB share?

Thanks,
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Ken,

In case you are using the latest version there is another option: you can open control panel, click menu, select backup job and choose Restore Files or Restore Volumes from the menu. Any chance this client is managed by Veeam B&R server (i.e. job is controlled via Veeam B&R)? Thanks!