Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
KevinMi

Export Backup???

Post by KevinMi »

I have a requirement to export backups for a particular VM covering several dates. The exported backup files need to be mobile as they are being delivered to an Information Security team for auditing.

How can I export these backup files in a way that are truly portable, much like those created using Veeam Zip?

-k
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Export Backup???

Post by Gostev »

Using the Export Backup feature? :D
KevinMi

Post by KevinMi »

As I indicated, we need to export the backup the same way that we would a Veeam Zip process. Simply exporting the backup just dumps a copy of the full backup to the same repository. We need to be able to save it outside of Veeam where the file can be extracted using the Veeam extraction tool.

Maybe you can point me to the documentation that tells me out to do this!
KevinMi

Post by KevinMi »

I should also point out that I'm using HPE StoreOnce Catalyst targets for the backups.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Kevin,

Just export it as Gostev mentioned, then copy wherever you need and use Veeam Extract Utility. Export Backup functionality produces the same .VBK files as you get with VeeamZIP.

Exporting backups allows you to synthesize a complete and independent full backup file out of selected restore points that are located in your backup repositories. That is, you can transform any incremental or reverse-incremental backup chain (i.e all dependent .vbk, .vib or .vrb files) into a standalone .vbk file.

Thanks
KevinMi

Post by KevinMi »

I wish it worked that simply. Copying these large images from the StoreOnce file system to a MS file system results in a corrupt *.vbk file; 100% of the time. If these backup files were on CIFS shares, the copy out strategy would likely work as expected but the fact that we're using deduplication appliances is making this more difficult.

When creating an export of a backup, why is it not possible to select a new location? It would also be great if we could encrypt the exported backup like we can with Veeam Zip.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

You may use Backup Copy to workaround the "corruption" in this situation.

Speaking about new location and encryption - makes sense to me. Thank you for the suggestions.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Kevin, it's not corruption but rather some specifics in how metadata is stored in the backup file on Catalyst Store, which simple copy is not aware of. To copy backups from Catalyst Store, you can either use backup copy, as Fedor has suggested, or go to the Files node in Veeam B&R and drag-and-drop backups there, they will be usable after that.
adb98
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Aaron B

Post by adb98 » 1 person likes this post

I am using a DataDomain and it has been hell for me as well getting these truly off or move to another repository. Here is an option that is the best so far.

Use the file explorer option in Veeam. Browse to your repository and find the folder with the export. Then drag that folder to the repository you need it to go to. If the repository is not there or its a network share, add that as a repository in Veeam first, then when you browse you will see the repository you need.
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 172 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by mcz »

is the exported (vbk) backup still encrypted? If not, how can you add encryption during export?