Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
nwbc
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: nwbc

Possible solution to weird proxy behavior on 9.5.4b

Post by nwbc »

Hey,

I have had a proxy issued that showed in the following way:

Displayed errors:

- Failed to create processing task for VM ... Error: No proxy available
- ... is no longer processed by this job. Make sure this change is intentional

The errors occured after the backup worked perfectly fine - and then did not anymore without changes made. The weirdnes came after completely scratching Veeam of the disk and reinstalling it (killed the db and moved old backups out the way), where the Backup worked 1-3 times on the fresh system, then again hit with the same errors.

Cause:
Veeam VMWare Backup Proxy seems to not work as well anymore with automatic datastore detection setting. We run a farily small and simple setup and did not have to configure this before.

Solution:
In the Backup Infrastructure tab in the Backup proxies I configured the VMware Backup Proxy Datastore detection to "manual" and added...nothing. Now it works.

Thoughts:
Seems like the automatic configuration thinks it has a better path to retrieve VM-data (which isn't valid). We run Veeam on a dedicated Windows Host without proxies or other special configuration to connect to the two ESXi server (e.g. we just have the proxie on the Veeam Host and pull the Backup via LAN).

Took a while to figure that one out, so maybe it could help someone.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Possible solution to weird proxy behavior on 9.5.4b

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Nwbc,

Thank you for posting it here, but I should say this is strange. Have you discussed this issue with our support team? I'm pretty sure there is some environment-specific issue causing this behavior and our engineers will be happy to help with determining the root cause and remediating it.

Thanks
nwbc
Influencer

Post by nwbc »

I tried to, but could not create a support ticket.

I got a message on the software selection page about not being licensed (while the license was correctly listed), which I later found out actually meant, that the account I log into the support website did not have the necessary rights to open supporttickets. In that time I figured out the problem myself or as it might seem, atleast find a fix for it.

Do you suggest I should try to go after the cause?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Sure, if you have some time to submit all the data including logs and work with your engineers. This article might help with case creation. If you decide to open the case, please do not forget to post it's number here, so we will be able to keep an eye on it and comment/assist when necessary.

Thank you
nwbc
Influencer

Post by nwbc » 1 person likes this post

Well,
as the issue reappeared after setting up another Job (that also worked once and then no more) I did now open a Case: #03808495
ibarizz
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by ibarizz »

Exactly same thing is happening to me, is there any solution on this?