PowerShell script exchange
masonit
Service Provider
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Maso

Find RecoveryModel of MS databases

Post by masonit »

Hi

When doing backup of a Windows server with MS databases and Application aware with truncating of logs enabled. Is can then see in the logs that Vbr looks up RecoveryModel of the databases. Is it possible to collect this info. Without having to collect it from log files?

\Masonit
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Find RecoveryModel of MS databases

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi!

Like this?

/Cheers!
masonit
Service Provider

Post by masonit »

Not really. :)

I know there is multiple ways of extracting this info. But VBR is already doing it. I just want to collect that info from VBR in an easy way..

\Masonit
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Well, theoretically you could parse Veeam logs(default in C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\) to find those lines, but that will require more effort than running a script against actual SQL server.
If you want to know information about production databases, its best to ask a SQL server that hosts those databases, rather one that depends on it. Say someone changes a job in Veeam to stop using guest processing = Veeam will not be aware of SQL changes inside, say someone excludes SQL database from processing = Veeam will not know about its Recovery Model, say someone changes schedule = your "veeam query" will get outdated and will not reflect actual status of production Recovery Model.

\Egor
masonit
Service Provider

Post by masonit »

Use case is hundreds of ms sql servers. That already is backup by Veeam.

I have now done some testing and I am able to find everything that I am looking for in Veeam logs. In xml format as well! :) I know there is some loopholes, but they are few and ok.

Issue I have now is that sometimes there is no logs because all has been compressed in to a zip file. Is it possible to control this archive behaivure?

\Masonit
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Sure. Please take a look a this KB article for more details How to Change the settings related to Veeam Backup & Replication Log Files.