Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
whodkne
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: SB

CentOS VMWare Tools / Veeam Agent ?

Post by whodkne »

We're evaluating backup of our network. All ESXi hosts with local storage and vCenter Server installed. Backup of windows guests is no problem. Backup of CentOS guests is producing the following warnings on the one guest we installed VMWare Tools on:

Code: Select all

Starting guest agent
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Indexing guest file system
Veeam Guest Agent is not started
And it is producing this error on a guest we have not installed tools on:

Code: Select all

Validating guest agent availability for the VM
Unable to use guest agent: VM guest OS state is 'NotRunning'
Is there anything special we need to do? The linux boxes are in their own job and none of the windows based options are turned on, as far as I can tell. The installation of tools is an "unmanaged" install as reported by vCenter because we did it manually. However if we try and update it via vCenter it tells us the tools are up to date. So it seems they are installed properly.

Any tips?
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Re: CentOS VMWare Tools / Veeam Agent ?

Post by Sethbartlett »

It looks like VSS is turned on. If you go to Properties -> Next until "Guest Processing" page, do you have any of those options turned on? The agent is used for Windows and not for linux.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
whodkne
Novice

Post by whodkne »

Doh yes, I thought I turned them both off... but I was mistaken. Turned off and testing now. I didn't realize originally that I needed to have a seperate job for my windows guests to use those options so I separated them but missed turning one off.
whodkne
Novice

Post by whodkne »

That did it, thanks!