Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Mike_H
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Hall

Moving an 'Instant Recovered' server

Post by Mike_H »

I've just started using Veeam, so sorry if this is an obvious one.

I've set up a test environment so that I can test recovery of servers from a backup. Using 'Instant Recovery' I can get a server back on line within a few minutes so no problem there.

What I'm unable to do is then move the backup (with changes made whilst in 'Instant Recovery' mode) back to the server. I haven't got Storage vMotion, so according to the FAQ I need to either use 'VM Copy' or 'Replication' - so I 'power off' the VM and instigate a 'VM Copy' to the VM host. The job takes 10 hours to complete (not really an issue) and reports as 'Success'.

However, the only server I can see on the host is the same 'Instant Recovery' server - there is no 'copied' server.

Any ideas as to where I'm going wrong?

Thanks

Mike
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Moving an 'Instant Recovered' server

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Mike,

Can you please check your target datastore for the replicated VM files? Do you see anything there?

Basically, you need to register those files manually, as VM Copy job does not register VM in the inventory, because you can use any destination for this job (even a Windows folder) and registering VMs while they are sitting outside of VMFS/NFS datastore (connected to the host) is simply not possible.

Thanks.
Mike_H
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Hall

Post by Mike_H »

Yes, found the files and was able to recover the server.

Is this the best method of moving a recovered server - the FAQ says you can copy or replicate - any advantage or disadvantage of either method?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

In case of any VM migration, I would suggest using VM Copy job, as it produces exactly the same VM image on destination target. If you choose to go with replication jobs, then it is also fine. The difference is that VM Copy does not perform incremental passes.

Here is a brief description of existing job types: F.A.Q.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

and v6 will have even better method - stay tuned!