Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Virtualredse
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matthew Oldham

Configuring Hourly Backup Job

Post by Virtualredse »

Hi

We have a requirement for a specific system to have Hourly backups over 7 days locally and 14 days backup copy (that would be around 336 points)
Given the length of of backup chain this will create are there any best practices for this type of job ? more synthetic fulls in chain etc ?

I noted also the copy appliance (Dell Data Domain) has a max value of 60 incremental points between fulls, would it be best to specify a number of archival points in order to get this number of increments in the chain between fulls down

Any input is appreciated :)
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Configuring Hourly Backup Job

Post by ejenner »

Not sure about the data domain... are the features of that product somehow integrating with Veeam? Isn't it just seeing the data as data?

You could turn on the 'synthetic fulls' feature and create a synthetic full every day to guard against any downsides of creating so many incrementals.

Also, could you restrict the schedule to be active within a specified backup window so the jobs only run during the working day (and maybe an hour or two either side) just to minimize the number of backups you have?
Virtualredse
Influencer

Post by Virtualredse »

Hi

Just found this max value mentioned here https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4 and under limitations saw that suggests daily synthetics .... pretty much as you mentioned. I think that looks like a good plan. Like the idea of the window also, probably unnecessary to go every hour when people are asleep at night :)

thanks for the input, much appreciated
vmJoe
VeeaMVP
Liked: 103 times
Full Name: Joe Gremillion

Post by vmJoe »

The limitation on the number of restore points on the DellEMC Data Domain is for DDBoost volumes, not regular Cifs volumes.

If you are using a DDBoost volume then I recommend in your case that you do a synthetic full daily. Make sure the mount server assign to the repo is a proxy/gateway and not the Veeam server and that you have set AV exclusions on all Veeam components following the advice of Veeam KB1999 (https://www.veeam.com/kb1999).

If you are backing up to a CIFS share then doing daily active fulls especially if you need faster restores.
Joe Gremillion
NA Core Solutions Architect - Central region
Virtualredse
Influencer

Post by Virtualredse »

:? Hi Joe

Thanks for the response, apologies for the late reply .... a bout of sickness!

The local repository is Refs and I have configured that to create 168 restore points so we keep 7 days, hourly locally with daily full synthetic.
The Backup Copy destination is the DDBoost repo and that runs a copy hourly but yet I am wondering how to configure that to hold the 14days of hourly that they require offsite ?

Is this possible with a max limitation of 60 increments on DD ? it seems adding full GFO points could only be done to retain on a weekly basis, but with hourly points I cannot bridge between those full points .... :?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Matthew, you're correct, if you enable GFS retention for backup copy and select the 'Read from source..." check box, it will switch the regular part of the chain (with daily restore points) to a forward incremental backup method with periodic active fulls, however weekly is the most frequent one so it doesn't allow you to overcome the limitation. Seems the only workaround is to schedule more frequent active fulls triggered via script.