Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mnario
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Nario

Missing VMs from a FULL BACKUP

Post by mnario »

I noticed that I am missing half of my VMs that I have setup to Backup on Veeam every week.

Total Number of VMs (71)

When I go and look at the Backup for Sessions and how many backups are available I only see 32 of them.
Now my Configuration is setup with 3 hosts with one Vcenter (on a VM)
- Veeam is setup on a VM as well to do backup to External Hard drive.

Please Help!

Thanks
Mike
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Missing VMs from a FULL BACKUP

Post by Gostev »

Hi Mike, it sounds like you simply either did not add all of your VMs to the job, or excluded some from processing. Please verify your job configuration carefully. Should you need any help, please open a case with our technical support. Hard to be guessing what you did wrong, would be much easier to just take a look at your setup over webex. Thanks.
mnario
Novice

Post by mnario »

I chose the whole Vcenter instead the separate hosts that I have. there are no exclusions setup on this backup and It gives a message saying 71 of 71 VMS Processed and backed up, but only shows 32.
rbrambley
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Rich Brambley

Post by rbrambley »

mnario wrote:
When I go and look at the Backup for Sessions and how many backups are available I only see 32 of them.
Where exactly are you seeing these 32 VMs? Do you mean there are 32 lines in the Sessions object? Or if you go to the Backups Object you count 32 VMs with restore points when you expand the job?

Also, from the Jobs object, if you right click your job and choose Realtime Statistics, click the html report button. Does any warnings or errors show up in the report for the last time it ran?
mnario
Novice

Post by mnario »

Under Sessions: Backup name: All VMS - VM Count 71 / 71 of 71 have been backed up
- I have 38 Succesful backup and 33 warnings (cause they have snapshots).

Under Backups I have two Restore points but only 32 VMS out of 71 that were shown backed up.

- What I have done and going to wait until next week is I made the backup Job and pointed now each individual Host instead of the VSphere Vcenter.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

I would recommend opening a support case, since they might see the problem sooner from the logs...
mooreka777
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: K Moore

Post by mooreka777 »

Under Sessions: Backup name: All VMS - VM Count 71 / 71 of 71 have been backed up
- I have 38 Succesful backup and 33 warnings (cause they have snapshots).
Did you snapshot 33 VM's or the veeam not cleanup after the backup? Can you tell me if you have EVC enabled? If your systems support EVC and it isn't running there are significant performance problems snapping VM's. Are you running ESXi 4.1 U1? There are some TCP options that need adjusted on the host. i don't know them off the top of my head, but it is a "critical kb" on vmware's site.
Under Backups I have two Restore points but only 32 VMS out of 71 that were shown backed up.
What I have done and going to wait until next week is I made the backup Job and pointed now each individual Host instead of the VSphere Vcenter.
Keep in mind that if you have DRS turned on the backups will fail with the VM migrates.

-Kelly
mnario
Novice

Post by mnario »

"Did you snapshot 33 VM's or the veeam not cleanup after the backup? Can you tell me if you have EVC enabled? If your systems support EVC and it isn't running there are significant performance problems snapping VM's. Are you running ESXi 4.1 U1? There are some TCP options that need adjusted on the host. i don't know them off the top of my head, but it is a "critical kb" on vmware's site."
Some of my VMs have Existing Snapshots. I do have 4.1 and 4.0 VM ESXi I would have to look up that article that you are speaking of but I do not know what to search for in the VM ware website or knowledge base. Also I do have EVC turned on for two of 3 servers.
"Keep in mind that if you have DRS turned on the backups will fail with the VM migrates."
DRS is turned on.. Could this be the cause of the missing VMs from the backup list?

Also, I checked the backup this morning and the new Session that was created seemed to only show now 16 VMs out of the 73 that were backed up. Again around 400GB of Backup space were used and During the backup I saw that it was removing VMs as its processing at 99%. Seems to me that it is verifying them and removing them as it goes thinking that the data is bad or something but no warning are shown. Is there a log file that I can review to see what is really happening besides the HTML Report?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can find all the log files if you navigate to Help -> Support Information within the backup console, you can start your review with the corresponding backup job job, however I would recommend contacting our support team directly for assistance.