Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
kluebke
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

Update / Installation Veeam Agent for Windows Free failed - Bootstrapper was unable to launch requsted process.

Post by kluebke »

Hi there,

we were running Veeam Agent for Windows Free v3.0.1.1039 and tried to update to the newest version v3.0.2.1170 on Win10 Pro - 1903 with PatchLevel 10.0.18362.356.

The update-process failed with the follow error-message: "Failed to initialize setup program. Refer to setup logs for details."

The last entry of the setup-log is: 2019-09-23 16:51:36 [ERROR] Bootstrapper has encountered a problem. Error details: Bootstrapper was unable to launch requsted process.

After the update failed we tried to reinstall veeam. The uninstall-process finished without errors. We did a reboot and a reinstall with a deactivated antivirus-software. The reinstall failed also with the same error-message. We also tried to install older versions, also as administrator, but its still the same.

Here is a dropbox-link to the zipped LogFiles: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8pndyi59oq4y ... s.zip?dl=0

Our support case number is 03783624.

Have you got any ideas?

We are hopefully looking forward for any help.

Kind Regards.
mashme
Influencer
Liked: 5 times

Re: Update / Installation Veeam Agent for Windows Free failed - Bootstrapper was unable to launch requsted process.

Post by mashme »

Hi you,

we have exactly the same enviroment/versions in use and exactly the same problem.
Is it helpful to open another support case for this? Just to show that you are not alone with this prob?
kluebke
Lurker

Re: Update / Installation Veeam Agent for Windows Free failed - Bootstrapper was unable to launch requsted process.

Post by kluebke » 1 person likes this post

Hi mashme,

i dont know if its helpfull to open another support case. I opened 2 support cases, both would be closed automatically after 48 hours.

But i could solve the problem by myself. I did the follow:

1. Extract the install-file for example with 7-zip.
2. Now u are able to install all what is needed by veeam manual. The deinstallation-routine will not remove the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express - Components which are used by veeam.
Because veeam was already installed on my system, it was enough 4 me to execute the msi-installer (Endpoint\Endpoint\Veeam_B&R_Endpoint_x64.msi) manual per cmd as administrator.

Kind Regards
pstoric83
Enthusiast
Full Name: Paul Storic

[merged] Anyone able to resolve this?

Post by pstoric83 »

I couldn't upgrade to the newest version so I tried to remove/re-install it but it keeps failing. Going through the error log and this is the issue "Bootstrapper was unable to launch requsted process"
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

merged with the existing thread - please use forum search before posting ;-)
ungaby
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Gabriel Dionne

[MERGED]Bootstrap error case 04773362

Post by ungaby »

When I try to update or to re-install my Agent for Microsoft Windows, I obtain the following message:

Failed to initialize setup program. Refer to setup logs for details
When I refer to setup log, the last message is an error of the boostrapper :

Bootstrapper was unable to launch requested process
Does anybody has an idea of what is the problem.

I have tried to open multiple cases with Veeam without any answers ( cases are always closed...)
Thank's
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

[MERGED] Re: Bootstrap error case 04773362

Post by Mildur »

There is a similar case in the forum with a possible solution:
post345423.html?hilit=Bootstrapper#p345423

It‘s possible that your support case was closed if you are using the free edition of the agent. Support is on best effort for the free edition. If there is to much load on the support Departement, cases from paying customers will be preferred.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi folks,

Mildur, thanks a lot for your help, I've merged your posts to the existing thread to keep similar issues together.
Gabriel, please review this topic and check if the suggested solution helps you.

As for Support cases - do you use a free version?

Thanks!
ungaby
Novice

Post by ungaby »

Yes, I use a free version
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran

Hi Gabriel,

Ok, got it. Yes, Mildur's right, Support is provided on the "best effort" for the free products.
Please let us know if the suggested solution helps.

Thanks!
ungaby
Novice

Post by ungaby »

I didn't find a solution to my problem in this thread... case 04773362
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran

Gabriel,

possible solution was suggested in this post.
If it does not work for you, let's wait for the results from your Support case.

Thanks!
ungaby
Novice

Post by ungaby »

Case #04773362I have opened three cases. all three have been closed without any answer...
And the only solution of this thread is not useful for me...
Thank's
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Gabriel,

as mentioned before, support cases of a free tier might get closed due to high load on support teams.

As for your problem, you can also try following:
- check if antivirus is locking our setup files. Bootstrap failure means we don't even get to the installation part!
- double check your elevation to admin when launching the product .exe
- check Windows Event log - application installation failures are described in detail there
- you can try working same path via elevated command line, try Unattended install
- last but not least, you can open agent installer .exe with any archiver and extract \Endpoint\Veeam_B&R_Endpoint_x64.msi - try manually launching msiexec from elevated command line

/Thanks!