Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
evilaedmin
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Eugene V

Tools quiescing?

Post by evilaedmin »

Greetings,

What do you all think about this quote in this Register article:
Here's where it gets really annoying for customers. VMware offered a work-around for Server 2019 and ESXi users, and it involves simply turning off quiescing before they take their snapshots. That means you may be left without a complete snapshot.

"This means most customers will be unaware they are now backing up VMs in a file system consistent manner, NOT application consistent," explained our tipster, who we will keep anonymous at their request.

"So if customers come to restore any application sensitive VMs (DB servers etc.) then there is a good chance of inconsistent data."
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Tools quiescing?

Post by Vitaliy S. » 3 people like this post

My comment would be the following > use Veeam application-aware processing (more advanced) instead of VMware Tools quiescing :)
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Post by nitramd » 3 people like this post

I'll definitely second Vitaliy's suggestion - I got really tired of the problems using VMware's quiescence and finally turned it off!

Application-Aware Processing is much, much better.
lando_uk
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Mark

Post by lando_uk » 3 people like this post

I was reading this on the reg too. I've never used quiescing and have never had an issue with restoring or data loss. We also only use Veeam application aware processing on some DCs and old Exchange servers. All our SQL and Oracle are mirrored, so we'd never actually restore a database server with the DB.