Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Brad403
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Brad Marven

Restore points and incremental backups

Post by Brad403 »

Hi Everyone,

I got a question that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

In my environment I have a backup job that is set to have 1000 restore points and it's only doing forward incremental. I don't have it set to create a synthetic full or active full periodically. Should I have it set to do a active full say every month? Or is leaving it on incremental fine? The last full backup was 134 day's ago on the first initial backup job. If I do set it to do a full backup once a 1 month, will that lower the amount of day's that I can go back to do a restore? Or is that all based on the amount of restore points I have it set to?

I do have another back up job that runs a active full once a month, and I also have replication jobs that run every 45mins with 47 restore points.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Restore points and incremental backups

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hello!

If you want to go without periodic fulls, then reversed incremental is the preferred mode.

Forward incremental will have some performance impact from very long forever-incremental chains. So, if you want to keep 1000 restore points, it's a good idea to schedule a full backup periodically - for example, monthly - to break the incremental chain.

You can enable full backups at any time without any impact on already created restore points.

Thanks
Brad403
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Brad Marven

Re: Restore points and incremental backups

Post by Brad403 »

Thank you for the reply. That is good to know. I will set it up to do a full backup once a month.
JKring
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Joakim Kring

[MERGED] 365 days rentention, best practice

Post by JKring »

Hi, we are a Service Provider for a customer that want a specific subset of their data to be recoverable for 365 days.
We have suggested using GFS (weekly, monthly etc.) but they have declined that saying that the may need recovery for a specific date and monthly ore even weekly restore points is not sufficient.

What is the best way to do this?
Just 365 days forever incremental or is there a better way?

Base data is around 300 GB and I have not yet had a chance too analyse what the change rate is.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: 365 days rentention, best practice

Post by DGrinev »

Hi

I would recommend you to schedule a periodic full at least once a month.
If you want to go without periodic fulls, then reversed incremental is the preferred mode as was said by Anton above.

Also, if you are a service provider (registered in the VCSP program), you can apply to the VCSP forums via the user control panel.

Thanks!