Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
mark49808
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

VTL to Amazon and WORM

Post by mark49808 »

I followed this guide to set up writing backups to Amazon via their Storage Gateway (looks to Veeam like a VTL).

https://www.veeam.com/wp-using-aws-vtl- ... guide.html

What options do i have to achieve WORM compliance in this case? Thats the last missing piece i need as I am in a regulated industry.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: VTL to Amazon and WORM

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
as far as I searched the internet, the Amazon VTL does not support WORM.

If you have a few months time: Veeam will support S3 object lock with V10. That is also WORM with the huge advantage, that you have single item restore and no tape handling.

It's just the "make backups immutable for" checkbox

Best regards,
Hannes
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

What options do i have to achieve WORM compliance in this case? Thats the last missing piece i need as I am in a regulated industry.
With Amazon VTL set up as a target for Veeam you can configure the export upon job completion functionality. That would mark the written tape as offline and start uploading it to Amazon immediately after the backup job is completed (in other words such logic makes the emulated tape media no longer accessible to Veeam B&R machine).
mark49808
Enthusiast

Post by mark49808 »

HannesK wrote: Oct 21, 2019 5:21 am Hello,
If you have a few months time: Veeam will support S3 object lock with V10. That is also WORM with the huge advantage, that you have single item restore and no tape handling.
It's just the "make backups immutable for" checkbox
@HannesK,

Thanks. Looks promising. Is this possible to use with glacier or glacier deep archive? S3 is too expensive for the amount of data i'm considering.

@Dima P

I think the export alone will not pass the test for WORM compliance. Because on the back end via the AWS API i can accidentally nuke the tape out of existence with a typo in a command. My understanding is WORM compliance needs to prevent something as simple as this.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

only normal and infrequent access S3 will be supported in V10. I cannot state anything about glacier support right now, as it is still too early for versions after V10
infused
Service Provider
Full Name: Hayden Kirk

Post by infused »

bumping to see if this has changed (worm on aws)
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

worm on aws
sounds like this questions should be asked to Amazon? They develop the VTL...

For S3, please see my answer above. V10 is out since middle of February. So it's available from Veeam side.

I search the internet again and found that Starwind VTL offers WORM functionality
thopa153
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by thopa153 »

Hi HannesK,

do you know if the ability to use AWS glacier or glacier deep archive for object storage with Veeam is on the road map?

Thanks
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

It is on the roadmap, however there is no official statement which release will receive it. Stay tuned to the news!
/Thanks!