Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 173 times
Full Name: Michael

questions regarding object storage integration

Post by mcz »

Hi everybody!

I've heard about the new object storage integration which will come soon. Now I've got 2 questions:
  • If you're currently using the product (VBO) with a local repo, will you be able to do a migration to object-storage to offload your on-prem repo?
  • Copy-Job: Object storage is cool, cheat and robust. But of course it is somehow vulnerable: Someone could delete the bucket or there could be some kind of corruption/outage which could destroy your hole backup (belive me, I'm having a similar case with B&R). Now is there a possability to do some kind of backup or a copy of your backup which has been written to object storage? You know, if you're using object storage in the cloud, you still should follow the 3-2-1-rule
Thanks!
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: questions regarding object storage integration

Post by Polina »

Hi Michael,

1) Yes, there will be a way to move data from your existing repository to a new object storage repository.
2) Copy-jobs are not coming, I'm afraid. For the 3-2-1, you'll still need to manually maintain different jobs to different repositories.

Thanks!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

For the 3-2-1 rule, we also still advise to backup your VBO controller / proxy with VBR
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

Polina wrote: Oct 21, 2019 4:32 pm
2) Copy-jobs are not coming, I'm afraid. For the 3-2-1, you'll still need to manually maintain different jobs to different repositories.
The "problem" here is that you're not protected against human errors / insiders. Someone could easily wipe out or destroy your bucket's.

@Mike: Yes I could backup the VBO controller but if your repository is in the cloud, your backup is just useless...
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Michael,

That indeed is correct. And something to consider for later on. But first is first... Let's get v4 out of the door and see from there
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

Yeah. I mean please don't get me wrong, I love the feature and I love object storage integration. But if it fails (for whatever reason), you're not having a physical backup of your data. That's what I'd like to point out.
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

Hi Mike,

any update on that? I'm currently updating to v4 and I'd like to use an object storage - but having no option to pull that object storage to your on-prem environment for backup purposes hinders me to use it...
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Hi Michael,

No changes to the v4 functionality; however, we're researching different options for the future versions.
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

Polina wrote: Oct 21, 2019 4:32 pm 1) Yes, there will be a way to move data from your existing repository to a new object storage repository.
And how could I achive this? I just saw that for an existing repository the option "offload backup data to object storage" is greyed out...
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

You can do this via PowerShell, for more information check this KB.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

You will need some PowerShell scripting to move your existing backups to object storage. Existing repositories cannot be extended with object storage - you can do it only with newly created repositories.
Here's the KB article describing the whole procedure: https://www.veeam.com/kb3067
I'd also suggest you contacting Veeam Support to let our engineers assist you with the migration (if you do so, please post your case ID here).