Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ftbug
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Freddie

Backing up Enterprise Vault

Post by ftbug »

Hi, i was wondering if anyone has had experience backing up enterprise vault?
I have read articles about using a PartitionSecuredNotification.xml file which is created by the backup software, so is this possible using Veeam?

Also, i have read about using the IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt method, however, the scripts required for this have never really been explained in the articles

any help is much appreciated
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Backing up Enterprise Vault

Post by PTide »

Hi,
<...>so is this possible using Veeam?
Yes, you can specify pre and post job scripts as a part of backup job. I believe that this article from the vendor will be helpful.

Thank you.
doctordave
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Dave Spence

Post by doctordave »

Yes. This thread is quite old but should help: veeam-backup-replication-f2/backing-up- ... 60-15.html
ftbug
Enthusiast

Post by ftbug »

Hi, this doesnt actually show any example scripts in order to create/delete the trigger files pre and post backup job..
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

From the article:
symantec wrote:Using the examples below in the post backup script will create a new IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt.

For example:

ECHO > "E:\Enterprise Vault Stores\FSAArchiving Ptn2\ignorearchivebittrigger.txt"
ECHO > "E:\Enterprise Vault Stores\MailArchiving Ptn1\ignorearchivebittrigger.txt"

NOTE: If pre and post scripts mechanism is included in the backup job application, then IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt creation should be placed before the clear backup mode lines in the script. The IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.old file should also be deleted.
ftbug
Enthusiast

Post by ftbug »

That just talks about the post backup script then the below regarding a pre script;
Pre-backup script will delete the IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.old file. For example:

del "E:\Enterprise Vault Stores\FSAArchiving Ptn2\ignorearchivebittrigger.old"
del "E:\Enterprise Vault Stores\MailArchiving Ptn1\ignorearchivebittrigger.old"

Pre-backup script will set all EV Vault Stores (and Indexes locations) in backup mode (read only mode).
where does the .old part of ignorearchivebittrigger come from?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

It's right there, in the very end of the list:
symantec wrote:<...>
4. Post backup script will create a new IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt file.

5. Post backup script will clear all EV Vault Stores (and Indexes locations) from backup mode.

6. Storage service will check for a trigger file and rename the file to IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.old.
davemann
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dave Reichert

Post by davemann »

Something that I do to make this easy (since I have a lot of vault store partitions) is use the output from a select query on the dbo.PartitionEntry table to grab a complete list of the partition root folders, and then I use Excel to concatenate the necessary strings to delete the old trigger files and create new ones as required.