Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
amir-geu
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: amir nazary

Eject/Load constantly over and over

Post by amir-geu »

As of 9.5, the "do not auto-eject" feature has stopped working. We have a stand alone drive. Our tape backup jobs will often require a new tape, and this will often happen on a weekend where nobody is around to install a new tape. The tape ejects, waits a few seconds and then auto-reloads only to eject again and auto-reload over and over again. This could happen a thousand times before someone puts in a new tape. This used to work properly prior to 9.5, but now we've already worn out the mechanism in one tape drive and cannot have this continue to happen. Any other solutions other than what Veeam support provided..."put in a new tape and you should not have any issues"? I need this to work like it did pre-9.5 update

Case # 03818523
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Eject/Load constantly over and over

Post by wishr »

Hi Amir,

Please try out all the suggestions offered by our support team and let us and the community know how it goes.

Thanks
amir-geu
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: amir nazary

Post by amir-geu »

The response from Veeam after trying all the solutions they've offered and a hotfix we were given to try is:

"Unfortunately, there is not a way to revert to that behavior as that is standard operation in 9.5. I checked all my resources for you to see if there was a registry key to be able to turn this off and there is not one available.
The best solutions I can suggest at this time is, you can reach out to Quantum to see if they have a fix for this behavior of that drive, have someone available to change the tape when needed, or look into a changer so it can change the tape for you automatically.
I would be happy to open a feature request for this option to be added to Veeam in a future release"

Hahahaha! what a joke. Introduce a forcedd auto-eject in 9.5 that wasn't there in 9.0 (even when we've unchecked auto-eject in the veeam job) and now it's our problem!

This is beyond unacceptable
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Loading back an ejected tape is definitely not the expected behavior of standalone tape drives. Anyway, your case has been escalated and both we (R&D) and support management will take a deep look into this.

Thanks.