Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Anders
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Anders Lorensen

Change Repository location

Post by Anders »

I have a problem!
We have a synology NAS, with 2 different volumes on 2 different Raid6.
On each of these volumes, we created:
\volume1\Backups
\volume2\Backups
(both added as Linux server repositories)
Then we added a SOBR on top of these 2 repositories, that all backup jobs target.

This worked fine until the first reboot of the Synology, where the Synology wanted to share both foldes, so it renamed the \volume2\Backups to Backups_1 - The result, Veeam cannot find all the files there and hell is loose. We renamed the folder back and fixed it, at least until next reboot, where we are now. It renamed the folder again.

I want to make a permanent solution to this, but changing the target folder name in the "edit repository" wizard is not possible :-(.
Can I instead do the following:
1. Remove the \Volume2\backups repository in Veeam. (is this possible when its an active extend in a SOBR?)
2. Rename the folder on the Synology to \Volume2\Vol2bck
3. Add the new \Volume2\Vol2bck folder as a repository and add it to the SOBR
4. Rescan the repository and hope Veeam finds all the files
Or can I edit the repository target folder in the SQL database (with help from Veeam support of course)
Or how would I go ahead with this task?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Change Repository location

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Greetings Anders

Can you please explain your scenario in a bit more detail, cos from what I see, it is 100% expected behaviour.
I don't get this part:
This worked fine until the first reboot of the Synology, where the Synology wanted to share both foldes, so it renamed the \volume2\Backups to Backups_1
- if Synology goes down, both volumes it shares go down
- why renaming?

Thanks!
Anders
Enthusiast

Post by Anders »

The problem is that the synology renames the folder, when nobody told it to do so.

Basicly the \\volume2\backups renames into \\volume2\backups_1 when it is rebooted. - But Veeam keeps looking in the now empty non-existing \\volume2\backups, and all jobs fail with a file not found error.

So I want to change Veeam so it does not look on \\volume2\backups, but \\volume2\vol2bck, after I manualle rename the backups folder to vol2bck on the synology.

Makes sense?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Ohh, now its clear.
Well, I can see a possible workaround with Veeam but that requires some manual tasks and next time your Synology reboots you will have to redo it again.
I think it will be best to discuss with Synology support team why in the world does shared folder gets renamed in the first place. There might be some simple patch or firmware update that fixes it.
/Egor
Anders
Enthusiast

Post by Anders » 1 person likes this post

Just a quick followup:

I followed my original plan:
1. Remove the \Volume2\backups from the SOBR, without evacuating it.
2. Rename the folder on the Synology to \Volume2\Vol2bck
3. Add the new \Volume2\Vol2bck folder as a repository with "import backups" checkmarked
4. Added the new repository to the SOBR

And right now everything seems to work. I've tried both backups and restore operations, and so far we are happy.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Glad it works!
Still check with Synology in terms of share rename behavior before your next NAS reboot comes again!
/Cheers