Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
meecrob247
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jay

Application Aware Processing - When to Use

Post by meecrob247 »

Hi,

It seems I get conflicting information or read old posts regarding this topic and no clear examples of when to use Application Aware Processing and not to use it.
So my question, for the following below types of servers, what is the proper setting... i.e. to have Application Aware Image Processing on or to have VMware Tools Quiescence on, or neither?

VMSphere 6.5 documentation makes is appear also that integrates with Windows VSS anyway now... so why not use Quiescence tool from VMWare?
Also, why not have the Veeam Application Aware Image Processing on always for Windows servers? What is the downside I having this on even if there are no VSS aware apps?

Windows Domain Controller - AAP on / VM Tools Quiescence off ?
Windows File Server (may have shadow copy on for folders) - AAP off / VM Tools Quiescence off ?
Windows Print Server - AAP off / VM Tools Quiescence off ?
Windows Server running various application (may have some database type application installed / may not ) - AAP on / VM Tools Quiescence off ?
vCenter Server Appliance - AAP off / VM Tools Quiescence on ?
Linux Server w/ PostgreSQL - AAP off / VM Tools Quiescence on?

Thanks for any help/opinions.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Application Aware Processing - When to Use

Post by foggy »

Hi Jay, application-aware image processing is not just VSS. It performs proper application quiescence required for transactionally consistent backup and also ensures successful recovery of VSS-aware applications. Please review this user guide section for details and recommendations on when it should be enabled.
meecrob247 wrote:Also, why not have the Veeam Application Aware Image Processing on always for Windows servers?
This is exactly what is typically recommended.
masonit
Service Provider
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Maso

Post by masonit »

Hi

I am looking into the possibility to disable aap on all Windows servers where it should not be neccessary, ex file servers. I have done some testing and eventhough there is no VSS-aware applications installed on the Windows vm i backup. Veeam still triggers a volume shadow copy inside Windows before vm snapshot. This is not done when aap is disabled. Whats the benefit of a volume shadow copy on partitions before vm snapshot and what is the risk without it? Must be a reason why Veeam still use vss eventhough there is no need for ex database freeze.

\Masonit
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Magnus,

If there are no VSS-compatible applications on a VM, you may want to use VMware Quiescence or disable AAIP completely if there is no need in VSS snapshots. However, the usual recommendation is to keep AAIP enabled for all important VMs running on Windows OS not just to ensure transaction and application consistency, but also to maintain file system integrity. You do not want to restore a file that is missing half of the changes because it was backed up when somebody was modifying it, right? Is there any particular reason to disable AAIP?

That article might shed additional light.

Thanks
masonit
Service Provider
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Maso

Post by masonit »

Ok thanks. Reason for us to look into this is. That 9 of 10 failed backups is because of vss issues inside backed up vm. Would be good, if possible to limit vss use.

Our standard today is to use aaip on all Windows servers. I wasn't fully aware of that volume shadow copy was used eventhough there is no VSS-compatible applications installed. If there is a risk of file system integrity when having aaip and quiescence disabled. Then we continue to use aaip on all Windows servers.

\Masonit