Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Requests for no snapshots of guests

Post by pkelly_sts »

For the first time I'm seeing notes attached to new services basically saying "do not snapshot this VM" (one mainstream instance is with Cisco ISE server).

In my case, the ISE server has an alternate backup solution, basically backing up configs etc. but the latest is a windows VM (revolving around the Gallagher Security Door access system) where the readme for the install specifically states NOT to snapshot the VM if used in a virtual environment.

I don't currently have access to a working Veeam install (am currently planning/designing a setup for a new client) so can someone remind me if it's possible to create Veeam backups without using VM snapshots? I guess we could use a Veeam agent for it although it won't be as tidy/integrated as I'd prefer.

Anyone else seeing this kind of requirement creeping in these days?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Requests for no snapshots of guests

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Correct you should use an Agent if you can are allowed to install it. Other option is to shutdown the VM in a maintenance window and back it up.

The issue with these realtime communication or security systems is that the VM snapshots cause tiny time clock out of sync sitautions that are correct after snapshot commit. These cause jitter ain the communication or can lead to disconnects at communication systems or cause here issue with the security time stamps.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Re: Requests for no snapshots of guests

Post by pkelly_sts »

Ah, understood, thanks for the explanation & confirmation of potential solutions.