Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
johannesr
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Johannes

Acces token question

Post by johannesr »

Greetings,

I have set up three roadwarrior computers to backup their machines to one shared OneDrive Business account.
This seems to be fine at the moment. Researching something else I stumbled across the 90 days access token limitation, which is bad for me, because this way I either have to remote in to the machines all 90 days, or give the users the password for the account. Both is uncool.

Is there any way, through Veeam or OdB to set this token to unlimited? I have full admin access to these machines and to the O365.

Thanks
Johannes
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Acces token question

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Johannes!

Said token(we call it "Refresh Token") is obtained from Microsoft upon logon to OneDrive in the Job Wizard. Having that said, you MUST logon to OneDrive on said machines every 90 days to refresh that token. Even if there is a technical way to alter that token record in DB, it won't be of something Veeam will suggest to do.

Few ideas:
- why not to use personal OneDrive accounts? After all its their data backups.
- note that OneDrive has some nasty limitations that might be of problem now, or in the future(like 15GB file size limit, for example). Support for OneDrive is meant for very small, personal user accounts, and not scalable\suitable for companies.
- note that OneDrive performance is of question too, in terms of ingress\exgress speed.
- as a last resort I would check out Azure Files. Being SMB, accessible from anywhere on the planet, better scalable and centrally controlled, with permissions per machine and no current "token" pain it might be a valid alternative.

Hope that helps!