Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mysticalice
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: mysticalice

VEEAM with Exchange 2010...questions!

Post by mysticalice »

Hi,
So we use VEEAM with an ESXI server, and one of the servers running on it is Exchange 2010, on Windows 2008 SP2.

Replicating the entire server to an off-site location is not going to work, since we're on a limited connection between our main facility and our off-site backup facility.

Our exchange database is ~100GB, but doesn't change often. Perhaps 250MB a day, if that.

I'm trying to find a solution to back up the primary database (perhaps once a month, over a long weekend or something), and then daily send differential backups over to the other facility.

Is that anything i could do with VEEAM? Or would I need something like Symantec backup exec?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VEEAM with Exchange 2010...questions!

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Since replicating entire server is not possible, have you thought of just doing incremental runs only? For that you should perform initial seeding over a removable device, ship those files (device) to a DR site and then continue replication job applying only changes to just shipped VM.

By the way what is the connection link between your sites?

Another approach would be to use backup jobs to save Exchange VM locally and then sync backup files (via rsync or any other tool) with the offsite location. I would recommend searching these forums for "offsite backup ideas", as there are plenty of existing discussions to get ideas from.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

You could use rsync to sync Veeam backups offsite. If you search this forum for rsync or offsite, you will find many existing topics discussing this.
More common approach though is to setup a Linux target in the remote site, and backup to this target remotely (this will be deltas only transfer as well).
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I beat you by 2 minutes, Anton :)
Bunce
Veteran
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andrew

Post by Bunce »

Do you have a live infrastructure at your DR site? If so, I'd setup a DAG and replicate to your DR site using the inbuilt functionality of 2010. You can seed the initial backup to external disk, and use incrementals from then on - either direct or lagged..
mysticalice
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: mysticalice

Post by mysticalice »

Yes on live infrastructure at the DR site, HOWEVER there is a SLOW connection between the two. While the hardware is up to spec, transferring several dozen GB of data daily/nightly isn't going to cut it, which was why i was planning on compressing the incremental/differential backups before sending it over the pipe to the DR site
Bunce
Veteran
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andrew

Post by Bunce »

Well XGE replication is compressed, so there may not be any difference between the amount of traffic transferred using other means.

Plus you have a 'ready-to-go' application in DR scenario with automatic failover..
st0623
Technology Partner
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Thompson

Post by st0623 »

Have you looked at our HyperIP WAN optmizer? We could double the throughput of your initial seed and speed up the incrementals, dramatically. Request a free 30 eval, here: http://www.netex.com, and the 30 day keys may be enough time to do the seed.
Regards,
Steve Thompson
HyperIP team at NetEx Software
steve.thompson@netex.com