Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
smburge
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Scott Burge

VEEAM MONITOR Generating heavy disk I/O on SQL DB

Post by smburge »

Hello,

We recently upgraded VMware Virtual Center to v 4.1 and are seeing huge DISK IO on our SQL Server serverly impacting performance of other DBs on our remote SQL DB Server. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?

VEEAM monitor is on a Windows 2003 R2 Server running VEEAM 5.0.0.268

Thanks,
Scott
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VEEAM MONITOR Generating heavy disk I/O on SQL DB

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Scott,

What is the size of your infrastructure and what is the hardware configuration of your remote SQL Server? By the way have you tried switching off Veeam Data Collector service?

Thanks.
smburge
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Scott Burge

Post by smburge »

What is the size of your infrastructure and what is the hardware configuration of your remote SQL Server?

We have close to 40ESX hosts, and 200VMs and our remote SQL server is running on a Windows 2003
sp2, 4 CPU, 4 GB RAM Never had this issue prior to virtucal cenetr 4.1 upgrade

By the way have you tried switching off Veeam Data Collector service?
Yes, Upon Stopping the Data Collector Service the SQL DB server goes back to being idle. When we have
it on, the CPU gets to near 80-90 % and our DBA sees bulk load transactions on Veam Monitor database
as the culprit.

Are there tuning we need to do? My only concern is that we did not have this issue whatsoever when we were running Vcenter 4.x. We started immediately seeing after 4.1 upgrade.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

That's strange, we never heard about this issue before (we have many customers running vCenter 4.1 with no issues). However I've seen that sometimes vCenter Server does not update all the internal data tables properly during upgrade to version 4.1 and usually it was resolved with the help of VMware guys.

Anyway, I would suggest contacting our support team and provide full log files for further troubleshooting.