Management reporting and documentation
felyjos
Veteran
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Dominique DUCHEMIN

Dashboard crowdy

Post by felyjos »

Hello,

My management has checked the VEEAM Reporter dashboard (I am taking over and not sure itr is the default dashboard or a custom one yet ...) and it is really crowdy... any reason why it is like this?
We have datacenters
DC1 - DiskUsage
DC1 - CPU Usage
DC2 - Disk sage
DC2 - CPU usage
it is a big colored block and it is almost impossible to identify the HOSt, the Datastore, the VMs having issues they are buried in...

Is it a configuration issue? settings?

Thanks,
Dom
felyjos
Veteran

Re: Dashboard crowdy

Post by felyjos »

Hello,

In just noticed apparently when creating a dashboard i cannot changed widget... I need to place it and then edit it am I right?
I am able to get the Line Graph or Stack Graph on creation... it was overlaying the "Create new widget from following datasource" and made me confused...
With Line graph it is a little bit better than the Stack graph but still looking more like a painting than a graph... maybe too many items listed on the same graphs...
I also tried the ReportViewer instead of the Reporter it is better but still looks like strange !!!!

Thanks,
Dom
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Dom,

Currently there is no default pre-defined dashboard in Veeam Reporter, so it looks like you've already created some reports and placed them on the configurable dashboard.

Actually, there are two ways of creating widgets, some reports contain pre-configured ones, while others do not. You can find more info about Dashboard possible customizations in our User Guide (starting from page 68)

As regards graphs representation, then, unfortunately, there is no way to show TOP N objects on the widgets, but as a workaround you can choose a reporting scope for the report and then based on that info create any custom widget.

Thanks.
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Hi Vitaly,

I am taking over so as I am learning I am discovering !!! thanks for the clarifying... so is there is no pre-defined dashboards means I could start from scratch.
I will check the User Guide and try to find my way as the graphs need to be cleared.

thanks,
Dom
rbrambley
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Rich Brambley

Post by rbrambley »

Felyjos,

Check out the Reporter Quick Start Guide to get an idea how the reports are created and how you can build the widgets. http://www.veeam.com/quick-start-veeam- ... ley_ds.pdf

As far as a "crowdy dashboard", the only other suggestion I have for you is instead of one master report / widget including all of your DCs, create separate reports for each DC and a separate widgets to match. Maybe even segment your reports on the clusters within the DCs if that is still crowdy.
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Let me try to explore this way

Thanks for the path
Dom
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Hello,

I was looking at this creation of widgets but it is just adding more confusion on the dashboard as it asks me to reorganize the widgets and loads a little bit more the dashboard... is there anyway to create a new dashboard on the same link? I need to create a new page or new tab beside dashboard and Workspace? is it possible?

Thanks,
Dom
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Multiple dashboards is one of the features for our next release, currently only single dashboard can be created.
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Thanks Vitaly so how companies do organize their views for now?
I couldn't have about 50 widgets on one page visible at the same time...?
Usage of other tools like SharePoint to have the URL displayed?
http://www.veeam.com/quick-start-veeam- ... ley_ds.pdf all dashboards look clean how is it possible?
Any help will be appreciated?
Thanks,
Dom
rbrambley
Veeam Software

Post by rbrambley »

The best option today IMO is to use the specific url of each report and create a bookmark, shortcut, or even build your own .html page that embeds several reports for you and access them directly.

If you use Internet Explorer, save Favorites for your various reports and organize them in different folders. Then from the IE File Menu > Import and Export function you could export the individual folders as an .html file. This gives you a TOC page. If you know a little .html then you can build from there.

As far as the widgets, Vitaliy correct me if I am wrong, the URL only exists if you create the widget on your Dashboard. Unless there is way to access the widget URL via the underlying SRSS server?

It's not as awesome as multi tabs will be in the an upcoming version, but it's possibly an alternative to your crowdy dashboard today.
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Excellent anyinfo in the meantime thanks for this clarification
Thanks Vitaly and Rbrambley
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you need to place the widget on the dashboard in order to generate a direct URL.

As for the SharePoint integration then as far as I remember our technical writers team has been recently busy with this whitepaper... let me check up the current status for you.
rbrambley
Veeam Software

Post by rbrambley »

FYI - felyjos sent me a screen shot, and from that I made these suggestions. It's good stuff for all to know so I am cutting and pasting here

Some suggestions. Try 3 or 4 rows in your dashboard with less widgets per row. Then each widget could be wider and therefore not be crammed in presentation.

You may have to reset your Dashboard first. You can do that after you click Edit . Click "reset" just above the list of reports on the left. Caution, this will clear all your current widgets and start you fresh with an empty screen. I would recommend dragging and dropping the bottom blue line first. 4x until you have your 4 rows. Then use the right side lines to make "boxes" for each widget. resize these boxes as necessary for each widget.

You can also auto resize your widgets in edit mode. For each widget there are 3 icons in the top right corner. The double arrow, ying yang icon is the refresh button.
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Hello,

I started with the IE option as it was the decision from our management.
I created a Veamreporter Solution in visual studio with RepiortViewer and reportviewer tasks :
- Choose Report: Server report
- report Server URL: http://vrpvmreport1:1239/reporter
- report Path: /ReportViewer.aspx?reportid=128
but it does not show anything... I would like to get four reports on the same page.
the url http://vrpvmreport1:1239/Reporter/Repor ... portId=138 works fine when typed in IE by itself.

What did I Miss?
Thanks,
Dom
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Dom,

URL links pointing to generated reports using Veeam Reporter can not be recognized by 3rd party application as they are "internal only" links, that is why you just see a blank page. If you want to integrate those reports with other applications, you need to navigate to your SQL report server and generate the report required using report server interface and not Veeam Reporter.

Hope this helps.
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Hello,

So I am confused as R was saying we could use IE... to rearrange the reports !!!

I saw that there are two URL in Veeam Reporter for each reports so does his mean none of them works with IE?
http://vrpvmreport1:1239/Reporter/Repor ... shotId=171
http://vrpvmreport1:1239/Reporter/Repor ... portId=140

Thanks,
Dom
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Each report can have two links, one of them for internal Veeam Reporter's usage, the other one is for 3rd party applications. Try using the first URL (which doesn't have ReportViewer in its address), should allow you to trigger the report from Visual Studio.
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Same result it is going to //localhost:4807/ which does not match anything... did I miss a step?
I am using ReportViewer from Visual Studio Toolbox it might not be the correct item to use???
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Dom, what version of Report Viewer are you using? Be aware that in order to view the reports Report Viewer 9.0 or 2010 is required.
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

hELLO,

So I need to recreate all reports using SSRS?
Nothing could be reused between Veeamreporter and SSRS?

Thanks,
DOm
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Dom, what version of Report Viewer are you using? Be aware that in order to view the reports Report Viewer 9.0 or 2010 is required.
Is it 4.0.2.308? or this one is for VeeamReporter?
On which machine?
The desktop using Visual Studio? 9.0.21022.8 (Sources Folder)/ 9.0.21022.143 (MyDocuments) / 9.0.30279.4402 in the SDK folder

The SQL Cluster (one node or two nodes)? it does not exist
the Reporting Server? it does not exist
The Veeam Reporter Server? it does not exist

Thanks,
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Hello,

Is SSRS installated by VeeamReporter?
I don't see it ReportServer and ReportServerTemp DB do not exist on the SQL Clsuter hosting VeeamReporter DBs...

Thanks,
Dom
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

felyjos wrote:So I need to recreate all reports using SSRS?
Nothing could be reused between Veeamreporter and SSRS?
You do not need to re-create anything twice, what I was referring to is that you can use the link from SSRS to paste it on the SharePoint (for example).
felyjos wrote:Is SSRS installated by VeeamReporter?
Basically there are two options, either install SSRS Express or choose existing SSRS instance while installing Veeam Reporter. Which one have you chosen?

Unfortunately, it's hard to give any further advice without seeing exactly what you've been trying to do, so I would recommend reaching our support guys, so they could assist you.

By the way, we'll be publishing a whitepaper later this month, which will have instructions on how to integrate reports into SharePoint, might be worth waiting.
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

You do not need to re-create anything twice, what I was referring to is that you can use the link from SSRS to paste it on the SharePoint (for example).
I have tried the ReportServer and Reports linked used in SSRS but still nothing displayed...
Basically there are two options, either install SSRS Express or choose existing SSRS instance while installing Veeam Reporter. Which one have you chosen?
SSRS Instance

thanks,
Dom
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, got it. Have you already opened a support case?
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Which number should call 1 (614) 339 8252 or something else?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's right. If you want a call back just log a support ticket via website: http://www.veeam.com/support.html
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

For those who are interested we have a SharePoint integration document available on the product web page (under Resources tab). Thanks!