Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
drc290
Novice
Liked: 2 times

synthetic full backups

Post by drc290 »

Hi :)

I have a rather small instance off veeam running with 9 jobs, that i've chained to start one after the other, with synthetic full backups running on saturdays. I've just noticed that, i have 118 restore points for some of my vm's and alot fewer on some of the others. When i look at the mails i get regarding the status of the jobs, it looks like it's only running 1 or 2 jobs on saturdays and on all other days it's running all the jobs without issues.

Does anyone know why it doesn't run the synthetic full backups?

Best regards
Danny
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: synthetic full backups

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Danny,

When do your chained jobs start? Here is an existing topic that might shed some light on the behavior you see: Regular Repositories not creating Synthetic Fulls

Thanks!
drc290
Novice

Post by drc290 »

Hi Vitaliy

Ahh the jobs start at 22:00, so it seems like it's because the day changes :) If i remove saturday from the regular schedule on the backup jobs, will that work? Or do i have to set the starting time lower?

Best regards
Danny
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You need to make sure that the job starts on the specified day, so lowering the start time might help, but again it will depend on how many changes will be generated and how long the previous job will take. In short, job chaining is highly not recommended, especially in your case.

Instead, launching all jobs at the same time and controlling the number of jobs running via concurrent tasks on the proxy/repository should be a way to go. Here is a couple of existing topics for more info on why chaining is not recommended.
drc290
Novice

Post by drc290 »

Thanks alot :) Do if i understand it correctly a better way would be to start the jobs at 22:01, 22:02, 22:03 ect. and then they will be queued and be processed when there is available ressources?

Best regards
Danny
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, moreover, you can start them at the same time (no issues). The number of active job sessions will be controlled by the configured task limit.
drc290
Novice

Post by drc290 » 1 person likes this post

Ahh thanks :) I will try it and get back with an update monday.
drc290
Novice

Post by drc290 »

Hi Vitaly
It looks like it has created full backup's on most of the servers. But all the other incrementiel backups are still there? I thought it would "clean up" after it self, but it dosen't look like it. Is there a way to make it do that?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Drc,

Existing restore points are deleted by retention that is applied only once you have a necessary number of restore points in the new chain started with Active Full (in the case with forward incremental backup method). Thus sometimes you may have more restore points than specified in the retention policy setting. Please check here for details.

To workaround such situations you may lower the retention setting and wait for the next job session to complete - retention is applied after a successful job run.

Thanks
drc290
Novice

Post by drc290 » 1 person likes this post

Hi Vitaly

Thanks alot for the help :) I will check and see after saturday when it has run the full backup again.