Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
vkky2k
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: rogerpei

What VBR database contains?

Post by vkky2k »

It is not clear to me where VBR stores information about all backups? Based on my understanding to other vendor's backup tool, the information about all backups should be stored in the backup database/catalog. It seem not the case in Veeam.
If these information are not stored in VBR DB, then where are they stored?

Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: What VBR database contains?

Post by PetrM »

Hello!

Veeam stores list of all backups, objects which were backed up and available restore points in its database.
Moreover, each backup job creates its own backup metadata file (.vbm) which is located on repository file system next to backup files.
Information about backup in database and in metadata file is updated with every successful backup job session.

The metadata file plays a key role during backup import and repository rescan processes.
Veeam will parse this metadata and will create corresponding entries in the database during import or during rescan as long as there is no information about backup when rescan is triggered.

One more copy of metadata is stored in .vbk file which can be used during import if .vbm is not available by some reason.
The main difference is that only full (selected .vbk itself) and dependent increments are imported when you select .vbk while import by .vbm makes available all
backup files produced by a backup job.

By the way, I strongly recommend to avoid any kind of manual updates in database or in metadata.

Thanks!
vkky2k
Influencer

Post by vkky2k »

1. To better understand, can you please give me an example on what particular information about a backup would be stored in a DB and what be stored in .vbm?

2. If DB got lost I assume VBR couldn’t run normally.right? How could I recover DB?

Thanks so much for your information!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

1. Metadata and database contain the same information about backup and their states are synchronized.
For example: restore point creation time, id-s of servers which were backed up, auxiliary data about guest os of these servers, name, size and path to backup files on repository file system etc.

2. I suggest to use configuration backup to be able to restore DB if it was lost or damaged.

Thanks!
vkky2k
Influencer

Post by vkky2k »

If Metadata and Database contain the same information, then what are reasons behind to keep both?

If DB got lost for any reasons, can VBR still alright to run? considering the same information should be found in Metadata and in the repository.

Thanks for your patience!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Metadata in repository describes backup chain, while product configuration database contains everything else: job list, session history, global settings, encryption options, etc. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

vkky2k wrote: Oct 28, 2019 3:57 pm If DB got lost for any reasons, can VBR still alright to run? considering the same information should be found in Metadata and in the repository.
If you lose the database, you can use configuration backup/restore functionality to restore everything back to the newly created database instance.
vkky2k
Influencer

Post by vkky2k »

If I lost DB, can VBR still run normally?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

As with any other application or even technical system, all the application components including a database should be operating normally to guarantee service availability. You cannot ride a car missing the engine, right?