Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
holografique
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Omar Torres

Multipath support for backup disk targets?

Post by holografique »

I'm aware of the current lack of multi-path support for VCB to mount a VMFS datastore and backup a virtual machine.

however, does this same restriction apply to the backup target you are writing the backups to? I would think not since VCB is only used as a proxy to read/access the VMFS file system. the backup disk target and the file system of that backup disk target is completely managed by the backup server and/or the backup disk target device. so theoretically I should be able to multipath to my backup disk target, whether it be over FC or iSCSI.

I'm currently going through some very in-depth testing and performance analysis with VCB/Veeam and various backup disk targets (NFS/CIFS/FC/iSCSI/de-dup appliances/etc.) and just wanted to confirm this is the case for both FC and iSCSI.

cheers.

-o
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Multipath support for backup disk targets?

Post by Gostev »

Yes, backup target access is fully managed by Windows for us. I am not a storage/multipathing guru at all, but I would say if you have multipathing setup correctly and Windows is able to leverage it to load-balance storage access, then it should work fine.
holografique
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Omar Torres

Re: Multipath support for backup disk targets?

Post by holografique »

thanks for replying Gostev, just wanted to verify VCB wasn't being relied on for writing data to the backup target.

cheers!