Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Paulo Balau
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Paulo Balau

How To force Incremental Backup

Post by Paulo Balau »

Hi All!

I have a job that should perform a Active Full backup last friday but failed.
After a few re-tries it keeps failing since it lasts +10hrs and then fails.

Mitigation Idea: To force a Incremental run so I may have at least one useful backup from last week. :)

So, reviewed the job to not perform the full backup BUT... It keeps me trying the full again & again.

How may I force the job to run the incremental (overriding/forgeting the full)?

Best Regards,
Paulo Balau
chris.arceneaux
VeeaMVP
Liked: 359 times
Full Name: Chris Arceneaux

Re: How To force Incremental Backup

Post by chris.arceneaux »

Hi Paulo,

I highly recommend you open a case with Veeam support if you have yet to do so. While I offer some insights on the job retry behavior below, Veeam support can help you review logs and resolve the underlying issue on why full backups are not succeeding on some VM(s) in your environment.

Short answer: There is not a method to force an incremental backup, unless you're using Veeam Agent for Windows. Only an Active Full backup can be created ad-hoc.

Long answer: Depending on your backup job configuration and if all or some of the VMs in the Active Full backup job failed, this behavior varies.

All of VMs fail

By design, Active Full backups only occur on the day(s) configured in the backup job. If all VMs in the backup job fail (including retries for that day) and the next backup cycle doesn't fall on an Active Full day, then the next backup will be an incremental. This also means, that incrementals after the last successful Full backup will not be deleted to preserve the existing backup chain. No override is necessary.

Some of the VMs fail

In this case, some of the VMs in the backup job completed their Active Full backup while others failed. In this state, during the next backup cycle, incrementals will be created for the VMs that succeeded in the previous full backup while full backups will be created for the VMs that failed during the previous backup cycle. Given the limited information I have on your configuration, I believe this is what you're experiencing.

More information on the logic of this process can be found in Veeam documentation.
Paulo Balau
Enthusiast

Post by Paulo Balau »

This job only has one VM inside and there is previous full backups done in the chain :)

I was hoping we could just on the very same job:
1. stop the job
2. alter the job to not perform the full or postpone it to other weekday
3. enable the job again
chris.arceneaux
VeeaMVP
Liked: 359 times
Full Name: Chris Arceneaux

Post by chris.arceneaux »

Have you opened a support case with Veeam? If so, please provide the case number.
Paulo Balau
Enthusiast

Post by Paulo Balau »

Chris,
Yes, veeam told me it has a solution: To call support on the very same day the job fails so they may act on the job file info.

This is no solutions since some jobs span for more than a day tipycally after hours :(

So, I believe they placed a Feature Request :)

BR,
Paulo Balau
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Paulo, have you tried Quick Backup to trigger incremental backup for this VM?
Paulo Balau
Enthusiast

Post by Paulo Balau »

No :) It's seeems very cool foggy!
I'll try it next similar event I have.

Do you know if this "overrrides" the failed fulls?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Paulo, it creates an incremental backup, so needs at least one successful backup already created. If the previous backup attempt was full and it failed, Quick Backup will create an incremental backup with the changes since the latest successful one.
Qayyim
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Abul Qayyim

Post by Qayyim »

Hi all,
I have similar issue to my Agent backup job will using full active. The backup slow, so i stop the backup immediately. I have change to active full backup to synthetic and run the job again with hope it will run incremental. However, the backup continue to do again active full backup. Any solution so i can do either incremental or synthetic backup ? It is possible to manually remove latest vbk file (the one i force stop backup) and rerun job ?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Abul, you may try to delete it and then remove it from the database using the missing restore points removal functionality. Then change the job scheduling settings to avoid active full during the next job run.