Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gshaw
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Gerrard Shaw

VSS credentials for servers not in primary domain

Post by gshaw »

We've currently got two separate domains that we're going to be running as VMs (either via VLANs or separate vSwitches) but just wondering how that will work with Veeam and particularly the VSS side of things?

As far as VMWare is concerned I guess the backup doesn't matter where it's coming from on the networking side but for VSS how will it work if the Veeam server is in a different domain to the VMs it's backing up...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: VSS credentials for servers not in primary domain

Post by foggy »

You just need to specify user account in the job settings (Guest Processing step of the wizard) that has administrative privileges on the processed VMs and that will work fine. This can be either an account from the same domain, trusted domain or a local account..
gshaw
Enthusiast

Post by gshaw »

What if there are no trusts between the domains and the VM to be backed up is a DC? The others would get away with local accounts but obviously won't get very far on the DC...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Post by Gostev »

Can you use the domain account from the corresponding domain this DC belongs to?
gshaw
Enthusiast

Post by gshaw »

I could manually enter the credentials but will it work OK if the Veeam server has no method of communicating with that domain?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I am not sure what are you asking.
gshaw
Enthusiast

Post by gshaw »

Our setup...

- Veeam server in DOMAIN1, vCenter, SQL, AD etc also in DOMAIN1.
- VMWare has a second vSwitch with another set of servers running DOMAIN2 with their own DCs etc as an isolated training network. DOMAIN2 has no link \ trust to DOMAIN1, IP addressing is completely separate.
- For DOMAIN1 if I want application-consistent backups I just browse for my Veeam service account and enter it in backup job... no problem
- when backing up DOMAIN2 if I want application-consistent backups will it work if I put DOMAIN2\user in the job properties. Bearing in mind the Veeam server isn't part of DOMAIN2 nor does it have any contact with that domain
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I do not see why this would not work... this is essentially about connecting to a resource in another, totally separate AD forest. If you have the corresponding domain's credentials, what can go wrong? Cannot see what could prevent authentication.
gshaw
Enthusiast

Post by gshaw »

Wasn't sure if the Veeam server not being in the other domain \ forest would cause problems, good news if it's not :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Well, I have been wrong before, so I will eagerly wait for updates from your testing! Just trying to remember AD stuff from my previous life, and pretty sure there will be no issues on AD side with this.