Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kaboomza
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jaques Coetsee

Backup copy with retention points

Post by kaboomza »

I just wanted to be clear.

If I start a new backup copy job, it, of course, wait for new restore points to be available. I have a need to transfer a backup to another location with all its restore points intact so I can restore from specific points when needed. it doesn't appear like the backup copy job will transfer the already created restore points and will create new one's as they are made?

What is the right thing for me to do here? to copy the backup chain in full with metadata and re-import it into the veeam server so I can restore from the restore points?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup copy with retention points

Post by foggy »

Hi Jaques, your understanding is correct, a backup copy will transfer only the latest VM state available in restore points on the source (keeping copy interval in mind). To migrate the entire backup chain you need some external tool (or File Copy for that matter). Could you, however, clarify the actual need for that? Why do you think you cannot restore right from the original repository? Thanks!
kaboomza
Enthusiast

Post by kaboomza »

Thank you. we need to regain storage on that main repository quickly hence why I want to move a specific backup chain off so I can regain that storage since our upcoming backups are being affected by the lack of storage available.

So I want to move that backup chain off, delete the original from the veeam console, re-import the moved chain and then restore from there if needed
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

And this chain is not used by any of the backup jobs if I get it right?
kaboomza
Enthusiast

Post by kaboomza »

correct its a job with 1 vm only so its controlled
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Then you can just move the files, remove them from backups and import/rescan at the target location.