Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ND40oz
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: ND40oz

SOBR extent placement policies

Post by ND40oz »

I finally started messing around with the Scale-out Repositories after a meeting with our rep who suggested we check it out and I'm a little unsure of how to configure things.

Is there anyway to have a local capacity tier instead of having to use object storage for it? I currently have two REFS volumes allocated to it, one is an array of SSDs and the other is an array of SAS HDDs and I'd like to backup everything to the SSDs and then use the HDDs as capacity to age them over to.

Since I haven't been able to setup a capacity tier, currently I have them both in the Performance tier and there doesn't appear to be a way to tell it to use the SSD volume for everything first and then start using the HDD volume once it becomes full. For the Placement Policy even when you choose Performance your only options are Full backup and/or Incremental for each of the extents. Is Veeam B&R expecting that all the extents in a Scale-out Repository are backed by disk with like performance instead of allowing the tiering of higher performing disks?

TIA
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: SOBR extent placement policies

Post by jmmarton »

You would need to expose the HDD volumes as S3, then use that for Capacity Tier. Capacity Tier does not support local volumes directly.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

One option may be to use the open source Minio package to do this though at one point I believe there were issues with the Windows version of Minio.

Joe