Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ric878
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ricardo Ortega

Use Case Question

Post by ric878 »

Hi,

New to Veeam products and in reviewing the wide range of solutions, I want to verify a couple of simple use cases and matching products.

As there is no general forum, I figured I would this sub forum as I think most of my use cases will fit here. So, here we go:

Company (A) has a Hyper-V or ESXi host. I want to backup the VMs on that host: Veeam B&R - This one seems fairly strait forward based on what I was reading. Feel free to educate me if I am wrong or there are any caveats.

Company (A) has a single, bare metal, Windows 2016 server. I want to backup this server and nothing else: Veeam Agent? Veeam B&R? - I'm a bit more confused on this point. The agent seems to be the more strait forward solution, but if I am reading the B&R information correctly, it can also backup physical workloads. Why would I use one over the other?

Company (A) has a single, bare metal, Windows 2016 server and 10 Windows workstations. I want to backup the server and at least one of the workstations: Veeam Agent? Veeam B&R? - Similar to the previous scenario. In this scenario it seems that B&R might be better than the directly deploying agents as I can centrally manage multiple agents form B&R. Is this assumption correct or should I be managing the agents directly?

Hopefully these use case examples make sense. Thanks in advance for any advice and feedback.

Best,
Ricardo
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Use Case Question

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

1) Veeam B&R.
2) Veeam Agent for Windows.
3) Either Veeam Agent for Windows alone (it can back up both physical and virtual servers) or both (Veeam B&R for agent deployment and backups management).
ric878
Novice

Post by ric878 »

@foggy Thanks for the reply. What are the general recommendations to have a cloud based backup in addition to the local backup for the Veeam Agent scenarios?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Ricardo,

There are several options depending on the chosen product and its edition.

1. You may choose a Cloud Connect provider and send your backups made with standalone, managed Agents, and Backup & Replication to a managed cloud;
2. Send aging backups to Object Storage repositories via Capacity Tier of Backup & Replication Scale-Out Backup Repository.

Regards,
Fedor
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

The Capacity Tier won't help here, as it moves old backup chains to object storage, while additional copy of backup data is needed here.

So, speaking about your options, you can create backup copy job and point it either to Cloud Connect repository (enabled by Service Provider of your choice) or to your own repository deployed in Azure or Amazon.

Thanks!
ric878
Novice

Post by ric878 »

@wishr, thanks for your response.
@veremin, thanks for the clarification. One more question. Are Azure and Amazon the only options for my own repositories? Could I use any S3 compatible repository?

Thanks
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Ricardo,

It could be a normal VM running Windows or Linux in a cloud and having a Veeam Data mover component installed that is deployed automatically during repository creation. You can use VeeamPM (free) to establish and secure network connectivity between your on-premise infrastructure and cloud infra. However, choosing the Cloud Connect option might be a better choice because it works out of the box.

Currently, blob storage is only supported by Capacity Tier of SOBR, but you can not send backups to Capacity Tier via copy jobs yet, however in the next B&R version you'll be able not only move your aging backups to Capacity Tier but also copy current backups via built-in offload mechanisms.

I hope it helps.

Thanks